Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How hard is it to service a transmission?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
Like whats involved besides just changing the oil and filter? and how hard is it to do? I'm quite mechanically minded and dont mind giving things a go.
Has anyone ever done their own before?

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
its funny u ask that, i just did work exper n all they got me to do was just drop the pan n change the gasket n refill with new oil i thought they did more then that

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I'd assume if you really wanted to, you could take everything apart and measure it to stock specs, but I say leave it to the experts for 'boxes.

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I serviced mine with a bit of help from the old man - Cost about $50 for fluid and a filter kit.

All you need is some car ramps - drive the beast up onto them... Get out a tarp to lay on, put it under the car.. Also get like a huge plastic bowl/dish of some sort for when you drop the pan - AND PLENTY OF RAGs...

The fluid was sludgy, black and smelt rotten no joke.. It also had chunks and shavings of crap inside it..

Anyways, after I replaced the gasket and degreased the pan and put it all back together my car takes off sweeter, the gears stopped slipping - A problem the transmission place said "needed a whole new gearbox".

Last edited:

bec22

Reaction score
Members Ride
vhrb30/vxs11v6
my vr auto slips at the end of each gear when you boot it
fine on take off, up hills, etc
can you tighten the bands
ive done it before on my old vl auto and worked ok
but dont know if you can do it on the vr auto
any help?
thanx

gregaust

Reaction score
No band adjustments on a VR..

And on the post above if there were shavings and chunks in the pan you are going to need a whole new gearbox real soon.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I'm planning on servicing mine on monday with new fluid, filter and gasket and a cooler Sounds like a photo opportunity.