Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how hard to rebuild a ecotec?

jenkos_vl

Reaction score
depends how mechanically competent you are.

as long as all the machining is done correctly, Assembly is pretty strait foward, as long as you have the correct tools.

what kind of re-build are you looking to do?
stock?
low comp boost friendly?
N/A high reving hi comp?

Dan

whitey152

cruzen
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs berlina
depends how mechanically competent you are.

as long as all the machining is done correctly, Assembly is pretty strait foward, as long as you have the correct tools.

what kind of re-build are you looking to do?
stock?
low comp boost friendly?
N/A high reving hi comp?

Dan

All the machining will be done by the pros ill just be pulling apart and puting it back together with all the new stuff.

i will buying a manual to read up on it and have it there just incase

the car will be aimed at n/a with just a few internal mods to get a lil more power:w00t:

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
never trust anyone doing your machining, so always check the sizes before assembly, u will need ring compressors, pre lube and a torquewrench. could clean the block yourself with a bit of fuel and hone it with a drill you just need the right pattern and not too much or u will go over sized. get a book also

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Wouldnt be much different then rebuilding a motorbike engine ay??

Except for the extra 5 cylinders, the bearings being different and the extra tooling, but its pretty straight forward ay??

Growler88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6
as was said before, always check machining. My brother has just laid waste to a set of kb hypers due to a seemingly reputable business botching the machine job, not only were bores machined with too much clearance, the deck is all over the shop and more-so isnt even at the height that was specified.... Always measure everything twice, if not 3 times. and thats EVERYTHING. Tunnel, journals, deck heights and flatness, Bearing clearances and ovality. Bore sizes, cam sizes (cam and bearings), piston sizes. trust me, an hour or 2 spent measuring and checking is a hell of a lot cheaper then another 500-2000 bucks on machining/replacement parts. If in doubt refer to your manual or a pro who knows the products, specifically for clearances, tolerances and any little assembly tricks.

Happy building and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Shouldn't be too hard if you both follow the manual and have everything well organised.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
as was said before, always check machining. My brother has just laid waste to a set of kb hypers due to a seemingly reputable business botching the machine job, not only were bores machined with too much clearance, the deck is all over the shop and more-so isnt even at the height that was specified.... Always measure everything twice, if not 3 times. and thats EVERYTHING. Tunnel, journals, deck heights and flatness, Bearing clearances and ovality. Bore sizes, cam sizes (cam and bearings), piston sizes. trust me, an hour or 2 spent measuring and checking is a hell of a lot cheaper then another 500-2000 bucks on machining/replacement parts. If in doubt refer to your manual or a pro who knows the products, specifically for clearances, tolerances and any little assembly tricks.

Happy building and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

Shouldn't be too hard if you both follow the manual and have everything well organised.

When i was working in a machine job u had to do everything smack on or it wouldnt leave the shop, yet temperature could have a big effect, we had sumthing come back from komatsu that was 0.02 mm out of tolerance due to them measurring it on a really hot day. you would have found it was an apprentice that did that work or they didnt use coolant.