Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How have people done there fibre glass reverse cowls to steal bonnets

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Agree with above.
Over time, fibre glass will end up splitting and cracking.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
ill bet you 5000 bucks that if you use sikaflex 227 and pop rivets, then youll never see a join, other than the one when it was painted.

So your saying if I sica flex it down and rivet it then when I smooth it all over so it all looks like 1 panel and paint it I won't end up with a crack line latter on down the line ??

Would you leave the pop rivets in permently or drill them out after fully cured ??

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
pre drill your holes
counter sink the holes with a bigger drill
put a line of sikaflex on, more on the inner edge so it doesnt squeeze out the outside
put all your pop rivets in the cowl
lower the cowl down onto the bonnet using the rivets as a guide
pop them up
if sikaflex comes out, get rid of it, you cant really paint over it. well you can, but its best not to have any
then when its all cured, fill in the tops of the pop rivets. you could fill the gap between the cowl and the bonnet too if you felt like it, but i supposed it depends on what the gap looked like. if it were tight, then you probably dont need to.

the pop rivets really just keep the cowl in place while the sikaflex curesonce its dry, its not coming off.

i do this with HVAC units when i do conversions. a couple of times ive fked up and glued the box like 3mm off, and pulling it back apart nearly destroys the plastic.

Last edited:

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I'm not after the look where the reverse cowl is just sitting on the bonnet, or like I have bolted it to it like this

538634b7.jpg Photo by cava454 | Photobucket

I want it moulded so it all looks like 1 like this

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Sica flex is to flex able and when I glass and mould it over it won't take long for a crack line to apear from the expansion difference and flex in the sica flex

A 2 pac epoxy is nearly the only way to do this on a bonnet that has any chance of holding the 2 stiff and strong enough to fight the force of thermal dynamics

I know some of these do crack but a lot hold for 10 years witch is good enough for me

I may even fibre glass the entire bonnets having a mould release agent between the 2 and remove and then remove the steel bonnet skin and fit my fibre glass one yet

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hit up Jecs for info.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Honestly, I think I'm yet to see a fibreglass scoop on a steel bonnet that doesn't have a crack or some sort of imperfection. I think you're much better off just buying a full fibreglass bonnet with the scoop already on it. Not sure on the legalities of fibreglass bonnets in Mackay though.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Yeah I think your right 383

The severe heat here in oz doesn't help with the expansion problem of fibre glass and steel either

I'm leaning toward fibre glass bonnet as well

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
#### fiberglass. find a metal one and weld that bish on...

CamaroStartStripdowntoFrameout570.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Meh, make your own. Pretty sure ari's vk thread shows how to make a cowl with an angle grinder and some bog :p (for the record, i was pretty impressed lol)