Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How-To: High flow washable air cleaner make it yourself

F

Frd_thmsn

How to make your own High flow type washable air filter element.

1. Remove the original air cleaner element from car.
Using a knife, hacksaw, stanley knife , your teeth etc, remove all of the
concertina paper from the air cleaner element.
Try to remove as much as possible and don,t distort or damage the
element too much.
(Pic 1)

2: Make a grille for the top.
I used some perforated metal sheet I had lying around, the picture
shows the prototype, but in my second one I used some perforated
screen which was from a speaker, as it had more holes and less gap
between.The holes were about 2mm diameter and 0.2mm apart.
Cut this with tin snips or strong scissors so that it fits in the recess at
the top of the filter.
(Pic 2)

3: Glue this in place on to the filter element .Use either oxygen sensor safe
silastic or Liquid nails type building adhesive.
(Pic 3). Do not use ordinary silastic as it can damage the oxygen sensor,
you shouldn,t use ordinary silastic really anywhere on the engine where
the fumes could get into the exhaust for that reason.

4:Find or buy some polyurethane foam, this is the sort of stuff that Clark
rubber has, you can find it used as packing in computer motherboards
etc (Pic 4). It is also used for mattresses etc.
Cut this a little larger than the opening in the bottom of the air cleaner
element so you can fit it tightly and ensure no leaks.
Place into the opening (Pic 5)
I used a couple of pieces so that the total thickness was about 1 inch
(25mm).

5: Make a retaining clip for the foam from fencing wire , an old coat hanger
etc. Bend the wire by hand into roughly a M shape.
This is not that critical, as long as it retains the foam.And place it in
against the foam behind the frame.
(Pic 6)

6:Finished item (Pic 6)

My one works really well, I did oil it slightly to increase the filtering ability, but it really doesn,t seem to need it for city driving.
Where I live I have to drive on several kilometres of gravel roads, which can really choke an air cleaner.
I,ve been washing it once a week and it sure has a lot of dust in it.For my first test I used a piece of very fine cotton after the filter,the type used in fish tank filters to see if anything got through , but it has been clean
If your wondering how efficient this sort of material is, I use the same stuff in my shop vac and it is one of the only things that will stop Gyprock dust getting through, that dust is so fine it goes through the paper bags on a vacuum cleaner.

I know it,s flowing a lot better than the paper element plus it,s cleanable.It,s also a good way to test out if a K&N would help.
If I can , I,ll try it out on one of the test machines they have in some auto parts shops , the one that has a table tennis ball that rises up a tube.

I have no laminar flow rates etc to support my claims and if you choose to make your own filter you do so at your own risk.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,508
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3,105
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,981
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3,018
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,962
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,195

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
yeh great idea mate i use pods too the sound they make is worth the like 2hp you lose instead of a panel filter

R

rattattack1313

VN-88 said:
nice work there mate, although i use pods sounds nicer, if ur lucky the mods might like this thread and sticky it
Done..................

geta

Reaction score
Its a great idea, dont get me wrong, i'm not bagging the ingenuity, the only thing I have with this is that K&N and even stock paper filters are folded for a reason, which is filtration area. With the folds, if you were to pull it out flat, you'd get probably 3 to 4 times the area. With your design, it doesnt appear to be the case.

Oh and maybe using the drilled steel sheet might cause localised clogging, i.e. the air has a small diameter hole to go through and theres no other option, as dirt gets into these localised regions, airflow will be an issue.

The only real downside is that you'd wanna be cleaning it more regularly - just so long as people are aware of this, but as you said you been cleaning yours weekly.

I'd also recommend painted steel sheet, or stainless.

-dave

F

Frd_thmsn

Thanks for the sticky.!

I had to keep replacing air filters constantly as I have to drive about 15Km each way to town on dirt/gravel roads until I hit the tar, I am sure the one I mades is filtering really well, and does seem to flow good, I can hear the intake noise now.
You,re right about the concertina folds giving greater surface area , but they need that because paper is very restrictive.

There,s a lot of aftermarket air filters out there that use foam , so I know it,s a acceptable material.

I,m in the process of making a BLOCKED FILTER ALARM, which will tell me if there is a lower pressure on the downstream side of the element , meaning the flow rate is being restricted. This is from Silicon Chip,s electronic projects for cars.
I am trying an old washing machine pressure sensor , which determines the water level in the washing machine.

If I can modify it to trip at 0.04 psi it will then light a LED and tell if there is a restriction.

You can buy the pressure switch for about $20. plus around $2.00 of parts.

This will be good even with a stock aircleaner for determining if the filter is free flowing.

This is mounted in the airbox on the engine side and if any restriction will cause a low pressure tripping the switch.So you know it,s time to replace/clean your filter:)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
nice tutorial, if i didnt have my k&n filter id try it as we have one of those pingpong ball flow things at work.

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Your an ideas man :yeah:

Great for people who live in more rural areas who have to clean or change there airfilter every couple of weeks.

I think that old air filter that was repalced by my K&N might be getting chopped up soon.