Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How important is getting your car serviced?

Siliconslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS M6
I am the proud(ish) owner of a 2000 vx berlina 3.8.
I am also impressively broke and currently unemployed.
would missing the 120,000km service be that important? the car in question is three months overdue timewise but is currently sitting on about 113k.
how likely is it that my engine will explode in a spectacular(but expensive) fashion if i wait until i am at 120 thou before getting it serviced?

edit: is it likely that the dealer i bought it from did the service w/o changing the sticker?

vx_ss_black

phantom vx
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
the chances of the dealer doing something nice like that is rather slim. as for being 3 months overdue, i cant see it doing a whole lot of damage. maybe just do an oil change (are you really THAT broke?). if you are that broke, i dont think its going to hurt to leave it for a bit, just make sure its not too long. my opinion anyway.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
if i was you, save the expensive service, at 130, dump the oil stick a new oil filter on it and clean out the airfilter, prob cost like $45 in oil and filter but at least the important part of the service is done, 130 is only a minor so save for the 140 as its a major

Siliconslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS M6
does anyone know what happens at the 120 thou service? i cant seem to work it out from the owners manual.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
in your service handbook it should have a list of work to be done at each sevice interval

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I take it there is no warrenty that requires you to have it serviced by a licenced mechanic?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Get some of the Repco oil or GTX stuff on special for like $12 and a $5 filter. You wouldnt want to leave it in passed 10,000k's depending on what you used. Still you will mainly run the risk of it getting dirty more than siezing it up or anything which i doubt.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Sell the car and buy a pushbike, you obviously can't afford to run it.

Siliconslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS M6
oh bollocks, it appears the warranty means it must be serviced by the dealer (dealer warranty, mums idea) guess i'll have to suspend my $3000000000000 hookers and blow habit for a day.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Er, besides selling it, you could not drive, get a job then save til you can service it, then go forth and destroy the ozone layer with CO2 emissions lol

To answer the question in the first post, it is quite important to service the car warranty wise, as for the mechanicals, I've heard of a BA falcon cop car going 58,000km before its' first service, so take from that what you wish.