Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How in the hell does the bastard harmonic balancer come off?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mace used to hire one I'm pretty sure.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Might be easier and cheaper to rip it off with a 3 leg puller, if you have one, and buy a new balancer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be easier and cheaper to rip it off with a 3 leg puller, if you have one, and buy a new balancer.

That's all I did. I have also in the past paid the garage $50 to replace the seal as he has the proper puller like the one Mort posted. I have had a garage use the bolt one also but it destroyed the bolt holes, which wasn't a huge issue since the pulley was being replaced anyway. Although I could have got it off myself if I knew he was going to trash it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
An LS style harmonic balancer puller might work.

https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/...AyyaX61Qs1YxSiohUwjV2NDZLvBVDR7IaAn8dEALw_wcB
69939d81878b4f71900af6200368ef92.jpg
Edit edit
The lugs on that puller are 35mm x 10mm so the holes in your balancer need to be at least larger than that, which they don't look to be.
I would try bending the ends on some cup head bolts and using the steering wheel puller.
Fiddly but worked for me.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Interesting, that looks promising, and I'd rather save the balancer if I can. What size bolts did you use?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Interesting, that looks promising, and I'd rather save the balancer if I can. What size bolts did you use?
6mm for memory but not sure of the length, possibly 100 long or 120 but place the bolt in a vice and bend about 20 mm at right angles with a hammer or even a little more than right angle so they hook in through the balancer holes.
Of course if 8mm will fit through the balancer holes and through the puller then use 8mm but I am sure I used 6mm.
Easy obtainable from Bunnings or any fastener outlet and I used cup head bolts.