Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How is the ZB going in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This every day of the week.

By the way same number of cylinders as your VR V6 with about 80 more kW.

Curious, what is the RWKW of the 6 cyl ZB? My old V6 had around 140kw at wheels and was 20 or so years older than the ZB.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Curious, what is the RWKW of the 6 cyl ZB? My old V6 had around 140kw at wheels and was 20 or so years older than the ZB.

I am not exactly sure how it works but i think in the v6 the majority of the drive/torque is still sent to the front wheels.

So it might be FWKW lol but it would be interesting to see how one went on a dyno.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Dude. You just don’t talk like that at a cruise or car show. It’s for that reason, most of those attracted to the ZB will never fit in with Holden enthusiasts.
The ZB is not a Commodore

Case in point, went to a Holden (not just Commodore) celebration event at a dealer in Feb.
Number of ZBs present... Zero
Every other generation from 50s to VF was represented

There were even VFs for sale!

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I don't know the RWKW but the engine in my VY V6S is rated @ 156 KW, (probably at the flywheel) same as the VR as far as I know. The ZB is 235 KW so I'd say it's a pretty good bet the RWKW difference is in the same order of difference.

So far as the VF V6 engines go I'm guessing the problem you're referring to is the cam chain issue. It's my understanding this problem was sorted on the later engines. Either way the V8 has its issues too.

Decide on the vehicle that suits your needs. Nearly every make/model can have issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am not exactly sure how it works but i think in the v6 the majority of the drive/torque is still sent to the front wheels.

So it might be FWKW lol but it would be interesting to see how one went on a dyno.

Well if we are comparing power at the flywheel my old V6 ute would have had around a 175-180kw. What power does ZB have at the flywheel?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So far as the VF V6 engines go I'm guessing the problem you're referring to is the cam chain issue. It's my understanding this problem was sorted on the later engines. Either way the V8 has its issues too.

Decide on the vehicle that suits your needs. Nearly every make/model can have issues.

I don't know for sure but when I was asking about a couple of VF V6 Utes, the owners mentioned having the cam chains already replaced when I asked if it was a V6 or V8. I assumed they were V6 because of the price but some people try not to mention it, unless asked.

Yes agree most cars have some sort of issues, LS most common issue is the lifters AFAIK. It's about a $1500 - $1600 job to get them replaced before they start to fail, a lot more if they do fail. But reading about the transmission issues ZB has I know what I prefer to have go wrong.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
What model use are you talking about? Your ride is shown as a VR V6. The 3.8 was good for 156 at the flywheel unless it was supercharged and as far as I know none of the V6 utes were supercharged from the factory.

Where are you getting 175-180 from?

The ZB is 235 kw and as far as I know that's at the flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.