Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long can I drive with an over heated engine?

kobechu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all,

Seems like as with many others, I have an engine that over heats at random times, and the cause is unknown. I have had it looked over by two mechanics and neither know the problem. So I have just come to live with it and have spare coolant in the trunk at all times.

My question is, how long can I drive for once the temperature needle hits high and I get a warning that the engine is over heated? Obviously I know I should stop asap but this isn't always possible. One time I was about 1km from home and was wondering if I could just slowly drive home with an over heated engine? Or would the engine blow up?

Also, how long should I usually wait until it's safe to open the coolant cap?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If the engine is overheating, and two mechanics can't find the reason, suggest you look for a couple more with knowledge.... eg Natrad or similar.
The radiator could be blocked with rubbish, inside or on the outside, the thermostat could be stuffed.
Don't drive it when it is hot, that extra 1km could cost $$$.
How long before you open the cap ? How much pain can you bear ?
Wait till it is cold. It may have been OK last century to put a towel over the hot radiator. turn the cap to the first stop, then quickly stand back.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The cooling system maintenance on VZ is quite easy to do.

Once the top and bottom hoses are removed, you can flush the radiator with the hose to try clear any blockages.

The cap could be stuffed and letting coolant out, but not in. They are $30 to replace.

The coolant sensor can be changed while your system has been opened and they are cheap too. Easy to change.

The rest comes down to correct coolant type. Make sure you are using red. Please tell us you haven’t mixed red and green.

The air needs to be bled out by running the car a while with a bleed funnel in the coolant filler. This will remove all air. The bleed screw on the radiator won’t even come close to doing this. It will help fill the radiator though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pull over as soon as it is safe to do so, even if you have to coast it but I wouldn't keep it under load.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Driving an overheated car will damage it.
Find the problem

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You need to find a decent mechanic. I can't believe two and they still couldn't work it out....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
is it actually over heating or just a coolant temp sensor playing up ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is it actually loosing water to create the overheating issue? Or does it just randomly go up on the gauge cluster to show it is getting hot?

Yes, coasting to pull over as soon as possible is the best thing to do with it overheating...It would also be nice to know the answer to the questions I have posted up....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If it is losing coolant and then overheating, replace the radiator cap. You are going to have to spend some money to solve this with or without a good mechanic. A new genuine Holden cap is a good place to start.

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
You need to work out if it is actually overheating or it is an electrical issue with the gauge?

Or air in the system, as it is a common problem.