Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long can I drive with an over heated engine?

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
How long can I drive with an over heated engine?
Now thats a very good question... almost as good as...How long does it take for water/coolant to boil?

The old bits n pieces magna of the 90's had issues with this same question and being alloy heads and radiator lower, any loss of coolant and the answer was usually less than it takes to cook 2 minute noodles.

And by the way 2minute noodles takes longer than 2 mins to cook, so false advertising.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i had my serpentine belt brake as i was leisurely :rolleyes: ripping a 3-4 gear change, as i was on the freeway i sat on 110kph and looked for a place to pull over, within 1km engine had gone from 80c to 110c where i pulled up, lucky i carried a spare as dosnt take long once the water pump stops turning

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sooo... maybe 30?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
If you live your life a quarter mile at a time and only use 30kgs of nos, you should be ok.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
I had issues about 6 months ago with my VZ V6 wagon overheating, and finding the coolant level low. After some research I found the problem to be the 2 o-rings where the top hose pipe bolts onto the block. They had gone hard and coolant was leaking from there. I could see dry coolant under it, running down the front of the engine, but it was obviously drying before getting to the bottom, so I was never seeing anything on the ground. It was a pretty slow leak, so took some time for the coolant to drop enough to set off the alarm in the dash.
I replaced the gaskets, put fresh coolant in and it's been good since, although I found the bolts holding the pipe on loose when I checked it about a week later. At the time I also noticed dry coolant spray on the side of the airbox, and I've noticed it again this week, so I'll be checking those bolts again tomorrow when I've got time. I'll top the coolant up and bleed it again while I'm at it. So far I've had no temp issues, or overheat warnings, with the needle sitting just above 1/4 generally, and going about 2 needle widths higher on hotter days, before the thermo fan kicks in.
When I had the overheat warning I put the heater on, which got the needle to drop back to normal, and made my way home, without pushing the car too hard. I then topped it up, bled it, and started looking for answers. Personally I wouldn't trust the alloytec for too long with low or no coolant.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Absolutely. The top hose was barely warm when this happened. Thought I was safe..nope..I'd go as far to advise people now to only do it on a stone cold engine.

As you say, let my pain be a lesson..

It's not the temp but the pressure that you look for.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You can 'choose' to drive it untill engine seizes or blows up is the answer....

Will it start or ever run the same again is big question 'cos everytime you cook it there will be some sort of damager or wear & tear done.