Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] How long can I go without a wheel alignment?

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Hi guys, thinking about changing strut tops and bearings on only one side and lower control arm bushes on both sides.

I only have this weekend to do it, and I fear that today I won't make it in time for a wheel alignment today, and as far as I know there's no place open on Sundays.

Can I go at least till next weekend without one? What are the risks? Other than the car possibly going a little to the left/right.

Cheers.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
providing you put everything back in the way it came out (mark components with liquid paper so you know where to line them back up)
then you shouldn't be too far out. Worst case scenario (if you get it wrong) is you'll start scrubbing tyres out. But a week shouldn't do too much damage, providing you aren't planning on doing big kays

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could be doing big K's, depending on my week :p.

Apparently last time it all wasn't very far out at all. In fact the wheels i didn't work on where more far out than the wheels I did work on. But I'll mark it this time, that's a good idea.

Thanks for your input mate, appreciate it.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
wouldnt go longer than a week... last time i did it i went a month cause had to wait for new parts cause some were wrong and ended up having to get 2 new front tyres

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why do unaligned wheels effect tires so badly? :S What happens to them?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Why do unaligned wheels effect tires so badly? :S What happens to them?

It's all about the toe man, how long would your heels last if your toes were crooked? Think about it that way.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
It would wear unevenly. Which I guess in a wheels case, it would wear out one side of a tyre.

So what alignments do is straighten the wheel so that tires sit flat on the ground, and wear evenly, therefore making the tire last longer. And also make the car drive straight because it's flat, not more on one side.

Is that about right?

But then how do wheels go out of alignment if I'm taking apart nuts and bolts, and they go back in to the right places?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The toe means the front of the tyres point inwards like the head of an arrow. If you have too much toe in ( or out ) then the tyres don't point in line with the direction the car is driving, ie straight ahead, so the raod kind of hits them slightly side on .... and that really ####S them up.

Alignment can be effected by changing bushes and other bits because your previous alignment was done to take into account the wear in your old parts. So now when you replace those parts with new ones the wheels could easily be 5mm furhter forward / back / in/ out or whatever. Sometimes you will get lucky and the alignment will be really good when you put it back together. Other times it will be way out, but if you had one recently and you now know what you are doing working on your front end it should not be too bad, and an alignment should not take too long on Monday if you need one.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Makes sense, doesn't sound good. I just got brand new tyres on the front so I don't really wanna screw them up.

I've reconsidered anyway, I'll wait till I can scrounge up the money to get the radius rod to chassis bushes and do both ends and the right top in the same session and get a wheel alignment done after the lot. Would be nice to only pay for the one alignment as well rather then forking out $50 each time.

Thanks for the info guys.