Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long did your brakes last ?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
You blokes ought to get the brakes mine came with.

Holden service 30 Nov 17 - 24749kms - Brake Report: F 8mm R 6mm
Holden service 29 Nov 18 - 33624kms - Brake Report: F 9mm R 9mm

Well done Holden!

Never had a car where disc thickness improved with age.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
So far I win - 120K still on original pads all round.

I did the first 110K in the first 4 years, mostly on highways.

I drive the Triton harder (because you need to...), just done front pads at 75K.

On another note, I still have the original battery. It's almost dead, it doesn't like going a month between starts.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
61,000 kms with 4mm remaining on the pads according to Holden. NFI if that means they need replacing soon.......?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
61,000 kms with 4mm remaining on the pads according to Holden. NFI if that means they need replacing soon.......?
Yes. Even if they would last say another 10k, you'll get better braking performance from a new set. There's also the risk of metal on metal. If that happens your rotors will be stuffed.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Yes. Even if they would last say another 10k, you'll get better braking performance from a new set. There's also the risk of metal on metal. If that happens your rotors will be stuffed.
Cheers. I'll get them done.
They're Brembos so up for new rotors too then.
Very surprised Holden didn't suggest I get them done last service if that's the case. Missed opportunity to make money. They just handed me my keys and said all good. I even asked for a price while I was there so I'd know what I was up for in the future.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Being that brake pads start with 10 mm of consumable compound stuck to a metal backing plate, according to other posts, an alternate view may be that you’ve actually achieved 10,000 kms per 1 mm of used compound with your driving style.

So it could be that with the same driving style, you’d get another 20,000 kms using just 1/2 the remaining compound, or 40,000 kms before getting metal to metal contact.

If you don’t mind periodically taking off your wheels and pulling pads out for a good look at the remaining compound, and whether it is wearing evenly, you may get away with changing your pads in a year or two.

Obviously pushing out a pad change is not a good approach if you occasionally go for a blast and are heavy on the brakes as running out of stop on a corner could be rather expensive :eek: Normal daily driving not so much ;)

Hackney

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GT Mustang,2019 Honda CR-V VTI LX AWD.
Geeez, my Redline is up to 71,000km and my pads are still original, still have meat left on them. Clearly I've been driving like my father.
Had a BA XT wagon awhile back,102,000ks out of the front,when I sold it @130,000 odd Ks it still had the rear pads on with still a reasonable amount left.Cheers:):)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
You blokes ought to get the brakes mine came with.

Holden service 30 Nov 17 - 24749kms - Brake Report: F 8mm R 6mm
Holden service 29 Nov 18 - 33624kms - Brake Report: F 9mm R 9mm

Well done Holden!

Never had a car where disc thickness improved with age.
I had similar with a Fiesta I used for work commute, had more pad material on second service than the first service. I figure they don't bother checking at first service as they know they're not a problem with only 15,000 km on them.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Cheers. I'll get them done.
They're Brembos so up for new rotors too then.
Very surprised Holden didn't suggest I get them done last service if that's the case. Missed opportunity to make money. They just handed me my keys and said all good. I even asked for a price while I was there so I'd know what I was up for in the future.
No worries. You can buy a decent set of pads for about $80 and change them in under an hour. It's a no brainer. Or you can take the alternative view and get your last $20 out of them. I've always changed mine out with a bit of meat left and always flush the fluid out at least yearly too. Good brakes are just too important to skimp on IMHO.
BTW what makes you think having Brembo's means you have to replace the rotors necessarily?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
No worries. You can buy a decent set of pads for about $80 and change them in under an hour. It's a no brainer. Or you can take the alternative view and get your last $20 out of them. I've always changed mine out with a bit of meat left and always flush the fluid out at least yearly too. Good brakes are just too important to skimp on IMHO.
BTW what makes you think having Brembo's means you have to replace the rotors necessarily?
Holden and my local mechanic (who works on my other cars) both told me with Brembos you're supposed to change the rotors at the same time as pads........ I just took their word for it as they both gave the same reason. I think they said something like performance rotors not having the same meat in them as normal ones so they need replacing sooner.
I would be a very happy camper if I could just do pads..........holden wants $1250 to do pads and rotors on the front only.