Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long did your brakes last ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Holden and my local mechanic (who works on my other cars) both told me with Brembos you're supposed to change the rotors at the same time as pads........ I just took their word for it as they both gave the same reason. I think they said something like performance rotors not having the same meat in them as normal ones so they need replacing sooner.
I would be a very happy camper if I could just do pads..........holden wants $1250 to do pads and rotors on the front only.
Oh, I see. Do they have much of a lip on them?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Holden and my local mechanic (who works on my other cars) both told me with Brembos you're supposed to change the rotors at the same time as pads........ I just took their word for it as they both gave the same reason. I think they said something like performance rotors not having the same meat in them as normal ones so they need replacing sooner.
I would be a very happy camper if I could just do pads..........holden wants $1250 to do pads and rotors on the front only.
That quote is ridiculous. IF your rotors need replacing, talk to these blokes:
https://www.brakesdirect.com.au
I may have my original front rotors here somewhere. If you're interested? I replaced them at about 2,000k. They were like new. I'll have to have a look, as I may have given them to my young bloke.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Oh, I see. Do they have much of a lip on them?
There's a slight lip top and bottom. I'm talking a piece of paper thickness. So just noticeable.
The face is smooth with no grooves or heat marks etc.
Thanks for the offer Cuda, very nice of you. I'm getting new tyres next week so I'm going to get that mechanic to have a look and see what he thinks. Hopefully I'll only need pads.......

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

In all my years of running performance brakes I have never heard anything that.

I have OEM Brembo on my AMG and BMW as well as the Redline and a number of upgraded cars.

I'd never go back as God only knows what else they'd be willing to rip you off on.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There's a slight lip top and bottom. I'm talking a piece of paper thickness. So just noticeable.
The face is smooth with no grooves or heat marks etc.
Thanks for the offer Cuda, very nice of you. I'm getting new tyres next week so I'm going to get that mechanic to have a look and see what he thinks. Hopefully I'll only need pads.......

What do you mean there's a lip top and bottom?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
About the only thing I’ve recently read, on the brakedirect web site Cuda posted, is that a change of pad compound should be accompanied with machining of the rotors to ensure the new pad compound beds into a clean rotor face so it works as intended and without old compound contamination causing problems.

But in the past, if the rotor was not scored or didn’t have a lip on it, I’ve simply sanded the rotor face with emery cloth and then used brake cleaner to get them spotless. Is this a wrong approach?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
What do you mean there's a lip top and bottom?

I'm talking about that ring that runs around the very outer and inner edge of the rotor face. It looks like it's a different kind of metal and gets a bit rusty
Terrible description sorry

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Holy ****! i didn't think they'd wear out that fast. I better check mine. I've done about 13,000ks and drive it like it should be driven.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I've got a set of VF V8 stock rotors if anyone is interested. Took them off my car at 2k to put on T2's. Still can see the original machine marks in them.

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
With conservative driving (mixture of stop/start suburban and country highway) my wife’s MY17 redline sport wagon has gotten 60,000 out of pads/rotors.
Tyres are gone as well.

I thought we’d get longer. My 4 cyl vehicles usually have me over 100,000km for tyres and brakes.
The sport wagon is our first auto, and is quite heavy, so perhaps that contributes to the faster wear.