Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long did your brakes last ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
With conservative driving (mixture of stop/start suburban and country highway) my wife’s MY17 redline sport wagon has gotten 60,000 out of pads/rotors.
Tyres are gone as well.

I thought we’d get longer. My 4 cyl vehicles usually have me over 100,000km for tyres and brakes.
The sport wagon is our first auto, and is quite heavy, so perhaps that contributes to the faster wear.
Yes weight is a major contributor. The brakes and tyres are high performance too and this also limits their lifecycle, compared to lower spec on a lighter vehicle.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What do you mean there's a lip top and bottom?.

The pads don't rub on the extreme edge of the rotors. Over time, the rotor wears and a small ridge of unworn metal is formed on both sides of the rotor. If you measured the thickness of a worn disc across the extreme outside edge, it should be the original thickness of the disc when new. Because there is no friction on that section of the disc, it will rust slightly, giving a completely different appearance to the rest of the friction surfaces.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
352E4CEF-B53F-4204-8FD3-E8669717BD65.jpeg
I just finish replacing pads and rotors.
The lip mentioned is pointed by the red arrows on the picture.
Some numbers:

60K km

Front:
Thickness
Lip/ New= 32
Measured =31.2
Service manual discard thickness = 29.8

Rear:

Thickness
New = 28
Measured =27
Service manual discard thickness = 26

So the rotors were half way there. But the pads were way gone which ended up damaging the front disc.

So if the dealer come and suggest machining the rotors at the first set of pads and you can not feel any brake vibrations, just tell them to stick new pads in (same brand)and don’t worry about machining. They will charge you nearly 300 dollars just in bolts.

Central coast Holden quoted me 49.00 front 30 rear each bolt.

I ordered some bolts from US , they are on the way. In the mean time a forum user agreed to land me a set while I wait for the ones coming from US.
Yes there is still nice people in this world!

What is not nice is the Australian post which haven’t delivered the bolts which were shipped last Monday. The bolts from US will get here next Tuesday.

In the mean time I found a substitute for the rear bolts on line and re used the front one. I know it’s is single use but the pads were gone ( still biting very good) making lots of noise scoring the discs.

Mid week I will install the new bolts.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I received the bolts from US today so the Australian post lost badly

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
I just had mine inspected for the darn squeal issue. 85% left on the pads at the 10k mile mark. I usually get good mileage out of my brakes. B.

franco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN,VP,VX II,VFII
What bolts do Holden charge for 300, also how do the T3 rotors go with Ultimate's,
I have used T2 with Ultimate's and I found the rotors wear quickly.

stoke_em

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8Z Monaro and VF SSVR Ute
Booked in to do the front Brembos on the ute this Friday. 108K kms out of the pads and discs that came from the factory

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
What bolts do Holden charge for 300, also how do the T3 rotors go with Ultimate's,
I have used T2 with Ultimate's and I found the rotors wear quickly.
Central coast Holden quoted me 39.00 front 30 rear each bolt.
Front 4 x $39
Rear 4 x $30
Total of $276

Ended up buying from US

I can’t say much about the combo yet, it’s been running for only 4 days around 300km

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
My Redline is on 30k and the pads look like new. I've had VE's and VF's that have gone up to 80k with same pads.

My wife on the other hand slaughters brakes, and barely gets 20-25k out of front pads (whatever car she drives). It has everything to do with your driving style