Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Long Have You Owned Your VN?

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
holden007 said:
Nice, I reckon if everyone here had there VN as first owner, you wouldnt have so much mechanical troubles.
That is ture because all issues with the car would been sorted long time ago.
My car has never have serious issues (3 water pumps, 2 thermostates and 1 fuel pump, p/s pump and hose in its life) also I service the car regually.

Cheers

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The only thing I hate about commodores is there pumps, fuel, water and power steering especially, they just dont last:ranting:

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I have owned mine for about 3 weeks now.. Is the second RWD car I have owned (first was an RX2) and all the others have been 4 cyl's and FWD ... These realy are great cars tho and I only wish I got one earlier...

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
89vncommy said:
I have owned mine for about 3 weeks now.. Is the second RWD car I have owned (first was an RX2) and all the others have been 4 cyl's and FWD ... These realy are great cars tho and I only wish I got one earlier...

Damn straight they're awesome, I got mine around 6 months ago. I came out of a six cylinder XE falcon wagon that some utter fool decided to steal for parts. Riiight lets go steal and strip a 25 year old car for parts we'll be able to sell for around $2000, lots of risk, very little reward, and one very pissed off pandaman keeping an eye out for any X series running 17 inch TSW's and XR6 headlights. Sounds like a great deal yeah? BTW, if anyone in the canberra area see's the above combo on an X-series, please let me know, I'd be interested in talking to the owner, it's been a long time since it happened but I live in hope of catching up with the little bastards. I learned a new style of groin kick last night at the expense of some seriously sore tendons and I'm itching to use it. :D :D

Anyway enough about the little bastard dole bludgers. The tow truck driver who recovered the carcass of my old car happened to be selling a VN wagon for the exact same amount of cash I'd saved up to pretty up the old falcon. If that's not fate at work I don't know what is. I took it for a test drive and I was hooked! I've been enjoying it ever since, With a VN/VP in good condition you get a lot of car for your money. I've also found that in most respects they're much easier to work on than a falcon, the systems tend to be more simple but just about as effective.

Ahh right, in summary answer to the question asked by this thread, 6 months. :D I've had ffaaaaar too much alcohol and caffeine for my own good, turns me into a postwhoring fiend.

PS. I really like this car, can you tell?

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Got my 1990 S1 VN in late 2003. Cost me 500bucks and only had 125,000km on the clock. 500bucks sounds cheap right? Catch was that the car was vandalised and trashed while sitting out the front of a house (unlicensed due to rust and bald tyres, and thermostat was bung too). 3 owner history, me being the 4th.

Spent about 1.5years fixing it up and getting it back on the road (thermostat cost me atleast 7months of trouble). Car runs great now, never overheats and has never left me strandard. Added about 10,000km on it since its been licensed, drives like the day it was (car flew over the pits without a second look).

One thing left to do is to paint my front bumper, which i may do tomorrow if the weather permits :)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Nikkojoe said:
Got my 1990 S1 VN in late 2003. Cost me 500bucks and only had 125,000km on the clock. 500bucks sounds cheap right? Catch was that the car was vandalised and trashed while sitting out the front of a house (unlicensed due to rust and bald tyres, and thermostat was bung too). 3 owner history, me being the 4th.

Spent about 1.5years fixing it up and getting it back on the road (thermostat cost me atleast 7months of trouble). Car runs great now, never overheats and has never left me strandard. Added about 10,000km on it since its been licensed, drives like the day it was (car flew over the pits without a second look).

One thing left to do is to paint my front bumper, which i may do tomorrow if the weather permits :)

Sounds like you've put in some hard yards, good stuff. It's always satisfying to have done a job on your own. And yeah, I hear the thermostat on the S1's can be a bit of a biatch. Why the yanks ever decided to mod the Buick 6 for a front wheel drive format I'll never understand. May you have many years of happy motoring from your veeeheeekal.

hazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COMMODORE V6
I have owned myne for a year now. It has had to previous owners.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
I bought my VN Wagon on 28th October 1992, so that's coming up to 14 years.

I'm the second owner, first was Vic Police. Had ~90,000kms on it, but now just over 419,000kms.