Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How low can you go? (fuel economy)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can usually pick up almost 1 litre per 100 on spark adavance with good fuel and another 1 or so on the early tunes that don't run lean cruise by forcing them into a lean open loop. Talking about pain in the ass ecotecs, I found the Injector constant on the NA and Super 6 tonight and that let me finish a turbo tune for my friend that I hadn't been able to complete for a couple of weeks :D so now I can go to sleep happy

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I can say this after reading the post's.....I ENVY you all !

After installing a crane 218 cam in my 5L Calais, refurbishing the heads and recalibrated memcal etc, you know all the usual things, curently during city only driving, I'll be lucky to average anything lower than 26L per 100 km !! Yes you read correctly.
Mind you if the 5L was developing 400KW then I would mind this so much LOL.

I can take off from the lights slower than someones grandma walking next to me, and the displayed fuel consumption reading jumps up to 35 L/100km, then gradually reduces to about 20 L/100km when up to say 60 kmh, only to stop again at the next lights and repeat the grandma cycle.

On the M5, given enough time she eventually drops to about 12L /100km.

Clearly something is amiss here I realise that but I don't know what it is, without spending another $500 to $1000 for someone to figure this out.

So I say lucky you.

Cheers

Just for future reference, so that no one else makes the same mistake, I ended up doing the fixup on this tune. The tune that came with his cam kit was burnt on an unmodified V6 memcal and that was the major problem, should be all fixed now and on the way home :D If anyone else has one of those cam kits. It would be worth checking the memcal to make sure it's not a on an unmodified V6 memcal

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just for future reference, so that no one else makes the same mistake, I ended up doing the fixup on this tune. The tune that came with his cam kit was burnt on an unmodified V6 memcal and that was the major problem, should be all fixed now and on the way home :D

Foam, your a champ. there would be many more poorly runing cars if it wasn't for all your hard work:thumbsup: shows that some proffesional supply outfits don't know it all

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The worst thing about it was they used a CAKH V6 memcal and burned over it :~( that's the final update for the VR's and a factory tune I've been after for ages :p but it's pretty illusive

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
hehe, instantaneous fuel consumption meter for the win. Since I started watching instant consumption instead of average, my driving habits have changed enough to drop it down to 11L/100km from ~12L/100km.

Out of curiosity, if anybody could tell me, what sort of difference could be expected if I were to install extractors, but not change my driving habits?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I get around 12.5litre/100km around town out of my turbo V8, standard tune with one of my custom 3" exhausts :)

I used to get 12-13litre/100km out of mt VT manual V6 exec.

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
immortal yes your right sparkies tuned my car =D...and yea everything in nz is waaay over priced maybe i should move to aus.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
immortal yes your right sparkies tuned my car =D...and yea everything in nz is waaay over priced maybe i should move to aus.

yep. i have the same problem

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
just did a trip from home to phillip island then around the island a bit, accross to wonthaggi drove around there a bit and back home so about 400km and got a fuel average of 9.7L/100km so it looks like the O2 sensors were one of the issues here but im glad its improving. normally this trip would of brought back approx 13L/100km

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just did the O2 & temp sensors in the 89 green sedan - fix the drinking problem.

Went from 14.5 - 16 L/100 to 9.7 - 11.5 L/100.

Wish I'd done that 6 months ago.