Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how low do coilovers go?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
whats the lowest you can wind coilovers? lower then SSL's?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
awww my bad man, looking at picking up a set of D2 coilovers.
i got SSL's and im not happy with the height, want to wind them down to about SSSL height

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
D2's are the dirtiest peice of **** coil overs you can get. for the record.

You'll be replacing them in 6months.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
You got money burning a hole in your pocket or something? In the space of a week or two, first asking about cam specs for an upgrade, then a blower and now coilovers. :help:

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
haha if you must know im 19 and im not a school, im actually training to be an electronics technician submariner in the navy, and making a packet as i do so.
so yeah if you must know i actually do have a bit of cash lying around doing nothing.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
as low as a the coilover you buy goes..... you dont need to be a brain surgeon to work that out.... ummm well d2's errr yeah ... sure..... :rofl2: i wouldnt but its your money

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If you're making a good wage, save it and get good equipment.
Do some research, aside from asking random questions on a forum.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
haha if you must know im 19 and im not a school, im actually training to be an electronics technician submariner in the navy, and making a packet as i do so.
so yeah if you must know i actually do have a bit of cash lying around doing nothing.

Hey Shakes take no notice of some of the gooses on the forum. A lot of them like to blow their trumpet, just so they can hear the crappy noise that they make.
Most of them like to spew nonsensical diatribe at any given opportunity. Most of them wouldn't know what a coil over is, even if you were beating them to death with one.

To help answer your question.
The coil spring on a coil over is basically the same as a standard setup, just a smaller width, so to speak.
If you adjust the coil over by the spring seat to lower the height of the car you will run into all sorts of problems.
The spring needs to be held captive between the top and the bottom seats at all times. If you jack the car up and let the suspension sag to its full droop the spring should still be held with enough pressure that it doesn't have any free movement up or down.
If you wind the spring seat down to lower the car, you will find that the spring will come loose on full suspension travel. This can cause all sorts of damage if it happens and the spring doesn't sit back into the seat correctly.
You also have to understand a spring has a rate assigned to it and by backing the spring seat off makes the spring operate out of its assigned rate, this is bad.
Next problem is that if you lower to far you will end up putting your shock absorber out of its effective working range, this is VERY bad as your handling will go down hill at a rapid rate. This can also cause damage to other suspension components.
You can add Tender springs to the coil over that will give you a little more adjust ability to the system or you can purchase a coil over that has two adjustments on it.
One for the coil spring and one for the height of the strut itself, this system is the easiest if you are simply looking at getting your ride height to a set level and not looking for handling.

If you know some one that is a certified welder you can make your own coil overs that will be far cheaper and far better than a lot of the crap that is on the shelf.

Always remember "There is never a dumb question, only dumb people!"

Last edited: