Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Low Is Too Low ?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
just wanting to know how low too low is........i wanna have room to fit a body kit of some sort and still have sufficient room to get over speed bumps without too much hassle........

i have a Stock VS Sedan how long cannnn i go

G

Grantis1976

I have freinds with a beautiful dark green VS, its been lowered 3". ILLEGAL
They dont seem to mind. On full lock, the 225 tyres rub the gaurds, they have to take there driveway on such an angle, there's a wear mark on the edge in the grass. Has front & rear strut braces fitted, and castor/camber kit (IRS ), corners like its on rails. Exhust system had to modified to stop hitting the drive/speed bumps/neighbours cat/etc. Up to you!
Good Luck !!!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say King Spring Lows would be best with a kit. A friend used to own a VR with a Clubsport kit, bought it like that with standard height suspension. He first tried super lows and it just wasnt driveable, would of been ok out on the track but for everyday driving it gave him the sh!ts. Ended up going with plain lows.

Too low imo is when you cant drive over a simple speed bump without taking it on a 45degree angle/cant get out of a service stations driveway. Or when bump steer and a super harsh ride takes over. Like Grantis said you really need a adjustable camber kit when you lower the IRS rear. Just like the adjustable panhard rod you need when lowering a live axle setup.

Some of the 'on it's ass' suspension you see is just sacrifing performance for looks. I guess it's up to the individual and how much everyday driving you want to do.

Jake.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i never understood why people go too low that they can't get over speed humps or put heavy stuff in the boot or passengers across the rear seats. when you can't make it over a speed hump or driveway you are not looking cool!

lowering definitely looks cool but only when it's not too low

Locksmiff

Reaction score
The below pic is of my car. It used to look like this . It has Super Lows at the height I asked for. It never had any problem except with gutters or cement stoppers, that were higher then what the legal lowest your car is ment to be. It used to grab onto the bumper, until I habitually started to reverse into the parking spots.

It has 17's on it now, which sits it a fraction higher, which I will have fix at a later date I reckon

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
i wouldnt want it to be too low...i think my best bet mighit be to get my rims first and then lower it so i dont have to get a new set of springs if it rubs the gaurd or anything like that

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Your right on the money Gobble's purchasing your rim's first is the best bet.

Locky- Mine sit's at that identical height with 16" VT GTS rims and 215/60/16 rubber. It has plain "Lows" in it. That's strange

Jake.

*Edit* And take that body moulding off if you havent already

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (OSL060 @ Jan 7 2004, 12:07 PM) Locky- Mine sit's at that identical height with 16" VT GTS rims and 215/60/16 rubber. It has plain "Lows" in it. That's strange

I used to have to take the front bumper off to put it forward onto ramps. It also used to have troubles going up the ramps in revers as well. I noticed now with the 17's 235 45 17's compared to the older 225 50 16's I don't get any fouling problems in reverse. I think though it may still have a hassle with the front, even though its a stock VN bumper on it for now.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I can see how you have front bar troubles

Looks like a VP GTS front bar?

And you didn't say whether or not you still have the side strips (Body moulding on the car)

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (OSL060 @ Jan 7 2004, 12:26 PM) I can see how you have front bar troubles

Looks like a VP GTS front bar?

And you didn't say whether or not you still have the side strips (Body moulding on the car)
Its a VP Senator bar. The side mouldings, I didnt realise ya was talking about my car. The doors are being replaced soon with VR ones as the fatter indent in the doors isnt there on VR's or VS's one of those 2 I have noticed. I have removed the lines from the rear quarters. I have pulled the car back down, to fully complete from one end to the other.