Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many are left?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I often sit in the car when the wife goes shopping at one of the very big shopping centres here in Melbourne, sitting there the other day I could see maybe 3 very long rows of cars from where I was parked and I was the only Commodore I could see. Same when you stop at the lights on a busy day there is often not a Commodore in sight, so they are an endangered species.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I wouldn't say Commodores are endangered....I see plenty on my too and from work.....It maybe due to the influx of other cars, which can make it difficult to spot them

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't say Commodores are endangered....I see plenty on my too and from work.....It maybe due to the influx of other cars, which can make it difficult to spot them

Yeah I saw either a VB or VC the other day and we have a population of under 100k where I live, so even the earliest models are still about. Currently 84 various Commodores for sale on Launceston Gumtree. I walk past at least 5 on my way to work each morning that's an average of one per block.... Endangered not in this decade or the next at least....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah I saw either a VB or VC the other day and we have a population of under 100k where I live, so even the earliest models are still about. Currently 84 various Commodores for sale on Launceston Gumtree. I walk past at least 5 on my way to work each morning that's an average of one per block.... Endangered not in this decade or the next at least....

The area I live is a square area, about 1 kilometre between main roads....Lost count of Commodores in my area....There is about 3 other VB's to VK's in this area, discounting my VC and VH...I reckon there is 3 or 4 VF's around the area too...Not to mention the other models.

I surpose it's a case of noticing, which some people don't...No offense intended to anyone either

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VR's seem to be a bit rarer for a relatively new Commodore compared to some. A lot more VS' getting around than VR's. It's only speculation but maybe VR being the last of the Buick people were holding off for the new VS engine. I remember the latter occurred when people were waiting for the VN. VN was going to be the new best thing, when GMH announced it. I remember the hype about the new V6 and how good it was going to be.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Might be to do with different areas, mine is the only one around my immediate area apart from a VZ Fusion Monaro in the area. Mostly European and Asian cars, lots of Audi's and Benz, heaps of SUV's. I probably used the wrong terminology saying endangered but definitely a lot less in the area I live in. Daughter ordered dinner tonight via Uber Eats and the guy delivered in a late model BMW.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I think the Aussie made vehicle is now an endangered species.
There are plenty of high end late model Commodores/ Falcons/ Territories in our area, but today I took a drive on the M1 goat-track to the Gosford Classic Car Museum, and was surprised by the lack of them during the trip.
By far, the most numerous is a ladder framed, leaf sprung, drum braked, monster wheeled pickup/ute. Closely followed by jacked-up hatchbacks (SUVs) of all sizes and brands. And Mustangs …… nearly as common as road-kill kangaroos.
Perhaps the remaining Aussie cars are being kept in sheds for a sunny day, and less desirable vehicles are used for the daily thump and bang and scrape.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Still see plenty of Commodores around my area.
Even considering their age quite a few vr/vs utes.
VE/VFs of all models and hsvs ( see lots ) tempting me( but I can't see it ever happening.
Bring down the price of the dodge hellcat so I can drool over one sitting in my garage, ( instead of a mustang , which I do like), ( might add I don't own either of these) ha ha ha , I wish I did.
More chance of a really nice vf redline .
There's a ve sv6 wagon and same in vf plus vu ute just in my street alone.
Plus a HQ prem which sees the light of day every so often.
Plus 2 dedicated ford fans across the and down the road a bit .
And my streets only about 530 meters long.
Even a few ve HSVs and newer around.
But eventually closet toys.

What's that Gosford museum like , I do want to go.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
What's that Gosford museum like , I do want to go.

I was there about 2 years ago and the place was chockers. They had an outdoor annex full of Soviet era cars …. Trabants, Zils and others that I had never heard of. Not there now.
The showroom is spotlessly clean and the cars very well presented, and all the cars on show are for sale. A white VC Brock $85,000.
A lot of Ferraris, some British cars with long forgotten names, and the usual smattering of desirable old Holdens, Fords and Valiants. A light green FE ute and a white Mk1 Zephyr, both of which could have been my Dad’s, and what I learned to drive in.
The most interesting are the 60s > 70s Yank tanks. Metres of unnecessary sheet metal, but they have character, something that is missing from today’s same as same cookie cutter cars.
Worth a visit, just to be able to say you have been there, and a lot of old farts reminiscing about what they had, so it is easy to strike up a conversation.