Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many klm on ur vr vs commy motor

vrbloke-77

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
1. Just making this post to see how many klm people are getting out of there original motor 3.8L V6.

Mine has done 263000 so far with inlet manifold gaskets replaced and water pump ( Water Pump Looked Original ) thermostat coolant etc in the last month how ever my oil and filter is replaced every 5000klm.

Oil is still nice and brown on the dipstick like its still in the oil bottle. Holden were the first owners of my car they used it as a business vehicle, then an old lasy bought it so all my services were stamped and done upto 200 000km, since then i have kept the oil changes up meself every 5 000 klm. My spark plus when replaced are always a nice tan color i beleive thats an indication to a damn good motor. is that true

2. what brand of oil do people prefer i use castrol.

thought this would be a good post so people can maintain there motors to get that longer life out of them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
"89 HSV Enhanced SV20
330000 With inlet manifold gaskets and a water pump. I use Penrite 15W60 Full synthtic and i service every 8000. My car sees the redline atleast once or twice a day and has done since 250000 and its still runs quiet and smoothly... Now ive jynxed myself -_-

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
stupid thread, this was only discussed around a week ago, do a search before starting new threads.

aj159

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CALAIS
350+ (broken odometer) but service every 5000-7000 with oil,oil filter, air filter, and sparkplugs
replased thermostat waterpump front harmonic balancer( crank puley) and yeah still going good
does have a lifternoise though

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
308,000km, nothing major yet, only done cas and air filter, oil change when I can be shagged
I usually use penrite as I use it in the old holden swell and it's the beat I've used.
It sees the redline on occasion, used to get it a few times a day just cos, but since I'm doing more miles, it doesn't happen very often anymore.

Got consumption down to a little under 11l/100kms with 70% highway.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My 95 VS exec has done around 450,000 km now, the engine has done around 200,000 km since Ive had the car. The engine was a reconditioned engine from redlands engines in brisbane, the reciept from where the engine was fitted shows the engine cost around $2400 and was fitted by some mechanics in gunnadah NSW. Not too sure about the auto trans, it still shifts etc just as good as the day I got the car, so I dont know if its the original box or not. I drive it like a manual a lot of the time. Theres no mention of fitting a transmission on the garage reciept either.
The car gets driven pretty hard every day really. In saying that, I also service it regularly, engine oil and filters every 5000 km, auto filter and fluid every 20,000 km. I only use mobil 1 5W-50 engine oil. Ive replaced just about everything mechanically on the car, all the usual stuff that wears out. The guy that passed it for its rego inspection the other day was pretty suprised when he got back from doing the brake test, he commented to me that its one of the best cars he's driven for its age, he said he's driven a lot of newer cars that didnt drive half as good.. The car is not a real lot to look at, Ive just kept it completely standard as I like my car to be different from other VS's.

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Mine-190 000ks
Mates dads vr- 370 000ks

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I had a VR do 375k before an accident. Trans lasted 300k and head gasket was done at the same time

Another VR had 388k on original Motor and Box then sold it