Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many K's are too many?

jimmig81

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 WH
my Vn had 350000 when i bought it bout 6 months ago but in good nick for its age an service history also a country car so a lot of highway ks on it so it but my Vt had 180000 an i had more trouble with that cause noone looked after it ha ha to the nobs that stole it best thing they ever did realy depends on the car and all the other factors

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Mines done almost 280xxx...

Its pretty much been a highway car its whole life and doesnt skip a beat.
Its been serviced its whole life and well looked after, does this mean its going to "blow up" soon

Even though its highway km's and you might aswell say its done 140xxx the price of it dropped wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down with this amount of k's

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
390 000k's on my merc(80) and many more to go. Old camry(89) has about 300000 and the commodore(88) had 300000 when i sold it. No problems with any of them when properly maintained.

As for buying one... i'm more inclined to look at the condition of the car and how it drives not base too much on the odo reading. That said lower k's probably take some of the effort out of it but as stated before the price can make a difference.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I bought my VQ with 270,000km on the clock. It's nudging 300,000km now, and still without a glitch. *touches wood*

Three most important things for a long car life:

1) Change your oil regularly
2) Use the same, good oil.
3) Keep it cool

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
As for buying one... i'm more inclined to look at the condition of the car and how it drives not base too much on the odo reading. That said lower k's probably take some of the effort out of it but as stated before the price can make a difference.

this is exactly it
car might have only 20K on it but is it thrashed or granny driving to chuch
look at the car not the clock

we just bought a vy ute last week for $10,500 with 275,000km on the clock
drive perfect no noise and just a bargin

the vs we have has 400,000km and no probs,
owned is since 150,000km

its all about condition not the clock
also another thing that pisses me off is one owner etc, who cares!
i could by the car and thrash it 24/7 then when i sell it say its 1 owner so it makes it special

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I've heard about taxis getting 400,000-500,000+ as well but i'm of the opinion that regular servicing (by me) extends the life of the vehicle. Oil every 7-8,000 k's air every 20,000, fuel every 20,000 and plugs every 20,000 i also run on premium and drive respectably, except when i go mad every now and then but that's good too- cleans out the cobwebs so to speak!!!! I would prefer to buy a car that has less k's on it though despite what the statistics say. Isn't it nice to have a clock with lowish mileage?!!!!!

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
as long as the car looks clean and runs smooth, i don't worry about k's...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
486,972. Only goes down hill there after.

Reaper

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
I look at the condition of the car and service history. Km arent usually a factor for me

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
As a few other people have said, it all comes down to maintenance.

My VN 3800was still going strong on original motor and 500,000++ kms (I say 'was' because we're dropping in a VR V6 now, just for fun)

Dad's VT Ecotec is well over 400,000km now, that causes us no problems really (one gbox rebuild but it's been great since then)

Mum's VY Tonner Ecotec had around 90,000 when she bought it. More than its fair share of issues.

Sister's VX S Ecotec had 80,000 when she bought it and a couple of issues but nothing too serious

My old 5L takes the cake as the problem car. I had a whole shitload of things I had to fix on that car, never quite ended up finishing them all. That was at 260,000 when I got it, car had gone to **** thanks to the last 2 owners.

kms mean nothing.