Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many K's are too many?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm often amused by comments that Commodores have too many kilometres on them when somebody asks if they are worth the price being asked. Another thread here has a VY II with 180k and an asking price of $9900, and the comment is that it is overpriced because of the distance travelled.

So, how many k's are too many? What sort of k's on a Commodore would stop you from buying it, even if the price was good? I realise that this is a very open question, because 100k on a VT would be low distance, but the same on a VE would be reasonably high, so keep in mind the relative age of the car when commenting.

I purchased a VR Berlina in 1998 with 179k on it. It was reasonably cheap, but the distance was very high for its age. Despite this, I sold it four years later with over 335k on it and it had been very reliable and given excellent service during that time. The bloke who bought it got a great car for 3 grand. From that experience, high k's on a car don't really worry me if the price is really right.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
For me, anything more than about the 180 - 190,000 mark would stop me from buying a car. That being said, if it was a REALLY good price because of the K's then I'd consider it I suppose

You also gotta keep in mind that there are commodores out there with 300,000k + on them.. so you know that theyre still gonna last for a while.

So... to keep it short - anything near 200k is abit much for my liking

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Well the average is 20k a year but for me to buy it, anything over 30k a year because i knoiw they can rack up damn easy..... Thats for a privately owned car but if it was a company car i would concider buying a car with 40k a year...

My mums old car was a company car, done about 40k a year, full service history etc etc etc, went fantastic and never let us down... only thing we needed to change was the CAS and coilpack in about 8 years of owning it :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I was told by someone in the Taxi industry that they loved Commodores because if/when correctly maintained they are good for in excess of 400,000 + (Remember - the OPERATIVE words being c o r r e c t l y m a i n t a i n e d).

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
I look at an average of around 20-25k a year...
I guess it also depends on who the previous owners were, what they did etc

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its not unheard of the old vn going round the clock with nothing more than timing chain and head and inlet gaskets.plus the odd sensor here and there

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
well kms wouldnt influence me on the car, its all depending on how smooth and good it looks, i tend to like to slither under the car for a lookey

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
I dont worry about klms,im more interested in condition and price.Ive seen cars with bugger all kays and are stuffed and fantastic cars with high klms.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Depends on whether or not it's my main car or not. If it was going to be a second car then kays wouldn't matter to me. I still like my main car to have low kays when i buy it.

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
The highest kms I have purchased a car with was 210,000 on a vx which was 5 years old at the time, that would be the limit though, as long as I can see a service history, kms dont worry me that much, price has to be right though.