Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many k's do rings last??

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Just pulling down my V6. Only done 550k :) Can't say I've ever seen rings come out of an engine in this condition before. Nothing wrong, but just plain worn out. Bugger all lip in the bores, under 3 thou.

Oil ring has worn the most. Almost half the original size . Compression isn't much better.

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 171
  • oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 177

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looks like you got your moneys worth out of it then.Theres nothing wrong with 550,000 out of an engine.I know of some engines that wouldnt do a quarter of that before they were stuffed.I got a mate with a turbo V6 commodore, and he didnt believe me when I told him he would be lucky to get 100,000 ks out of a set of rings with the turbo,when they get up around this distance, they start to loose their "edge" and go downhill performance wise, they can also start to use and burn oil..,hes learnt the hard way now,its been re-ringed once and rebuilt again since then,all within a year or so.The turbo is pumping a fair amount of boost though,I dont remember what exactly it runs at,but geez it goes good.I love the look on V8 drivers faces as they get left behind by a shitty old looking six cylinder commodore exec...It must be good to have money to throw away on engine rebuilds once a year..

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's my daily driver. Was my dad's. He bought it as an ex demo model with 40k on it.

Had a few problems over the years. 3 harmonic balancers, 4 crank sensors and I think 3 coil packs and a couple of fuel pumps. Apart from that never really missed a beat. And I haven't been driving it kindly over the last 6 years :)

So honed the bores so far. They mic up on the upper limits. Reusing the pistons. They seem to be forged. They have some wear, but crack tested good. Got some gapless rings I need to fit. I could have reused the big end bearings. It's amazing the condition they are in! Fitting new ones. Crank seems to be forged too. Bloody camera's broken. :( Crank mikes up good too. Pay's to service the engine regularly

I'm not even going to crack the mains, don't like disturbing them unless I'm replacing them

Going to put the 38 cc heads I machined on. Give it a boost in compression. Wish I had the dollars to get the cam I want, but I'll do that later when funds permit :)

Need to make a new manifold up. That can go on later with the cam.

back to re rebuild. Time to put pistons in :D

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Had a few problems over the years. 3 harmonic balancers, 4 crank sensors and I think 3 coil packs and a couple of fuel pumps. Apart from that never really missed a beat. And I haven't been driving it kindly over the last 6 years :)

That's all usual commodore stuff.

550k isn't bad mate.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
do the lot cam bearings mains bigends or you will cry when it spins a cam bearing and stuffs the rest of it we just did all bearings for 140NZ or so new rear seal was cheap as as well

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
got to get the cam out to check the bearings :( bloody torx bolts are so bloody tight, stuffed a few drivers already. looking for the impact set now

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, dicked around today, got a new clutch and p/plate, cam bearings. Fitted it today. Fired up first go, just had to take the maifold off to fix a rear leak. FOrgot to dab them with silicone :(.

What a difference. little bit more poke now. You can hear the extra compression as well as feel it at the rear.

Forgot to shim up the rockers :( so won't idle and running a bit rough. Finding some washers the right thickness now.