Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how many k's for a vr/vs?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
vs? $1200 not a bad price.....lol whats that make the VR worth ?
Not sure, just picked up a immaculate VT with 150k on it for $1700 a few months ago. Makes me cringe when I see people trying to sell VR/VS for even 2k+ but if there are people willing to pay that much then let them.

Depends on the individual car though but I couldn't justify getting a VR for over $1000 as I think the VN looks better and has the same running gear. VT looks better than the VS and around the same price.

Options and the size of the motors add value but VR is a VN/VP with a facelift, VS is a VR with a ecotec. Its arguable but thats the way I see it. I know many that prefer VS over VT but its personal preference. I prefer VN over VR/VS. I prefer VT over VR/VS. S1 VN's are nice down low, VT's are a little more sluggish on bottom end but are great on the highway.

Either way, I think if you are paying over $1300-1500 for a VS or VR you are getting ripped unless its something special.

Keep your eyes open and you will land a bargain sooner or later. Don't go rush for the first one you have the cash for, I was watching about 40+ VT's on ebay for about 3-4 months till I finally bought mine. I had the cash to get any of them at any time but as soon as they went over what I think they are worth I let them go.

The same goes for any car, dont be afraid to ask questions. After all its costing you $1000+ so you can be as annoying as you like to make sure you are getting what you want. Doesnt really matter where it is either. I bought one recently from Melbourne and flew there and drove it back to Adelaide, $80 for a flight there, $20 for a taxi, $100ish for fuel. The costs didn't bother me as it was good to get a feel of the car and take it for a long drive, and if you enjoy driving like I do I'm always looking for an excuse to go on a long trip.

If you cant get a VS for under $1500 with around 150k on it I would look at getting a VT, or if you really want a VS just get a run about for $500 or so and keep a eye out for what you really want at a good price, could take you half a year or more but when you get it you can sell your run about for $500 again and you havent lost anything there, only saved money from not rusing out and buying the first one you look at.

Dont buy from a dealer, check local news papers, ebay, gumtree, carsales ect and set your self a price limit. If its over what you want to pay just wait, something better and cheaper always comes along when you wait for it.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
how do they go in the way of putting a s/c or t/c on them?i had a look through somsones thread on his tt ecotec build last night and looked impressive!and ill be doing a few k's a week when i get my p's probably about 500,so if im gunna buy a goodbodied car with high k's i deifinetly will think about building a mild performance motor for it.and i was checking out trading post before and there was heaps of v's with around 200thou on the clock for 2-300grand with 12months reg and a rwc.

If you will be on your P's I wouldn't bother about a turbo or supercharger unless you wanted to buy a motor and do it up over a few years and keep it in the shed till you get your full licence.
Looking at 5k+ unless you can do all the work your self, I have read people can do there own set up for about 1k but they have everything they need to do it and the skills needed.

rhysieboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt exec
yer im a apprentice mechanic so will do all the assembling my self over the time,i would buy something for 500-2000grand with reg and get a"legit" rwc but the parents are freaking out trying to get me a super safe car.

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
I bought my VS Equipe 96 S1 for $2500 with 165000 on it. Interior was fair but mechanically it was perfect and still is after 10months of thrash. The guy wanted $3500 for it. Just keep checking carsales and gumtree. Don't buy anything with performance mods and defiantly don't buy from a P plater, your a mechanic so you will know that anyway. Hold out for a bargain, everything is negotiable.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Are you only interested in VR/VS? VT S1 Acclaim has driver and passenger air bag, ABS, traction control ect. Good value for money and voted #1 for safety in large cars in 97. And the traction control can be turned off the the press of a button :p

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
The Mrs Has a VR with 227k on the Clock, and lets see, Where do i start, Heater core, engine mounts, water pump, front susspension, rear shocks, Inlet Manifold gasket, 2 thermostats, heater hoses, inlet manifold cooling hose connectors broke while driving, over heated, gear selector switch stops it starting in park some times, 2 new key heads, power steering rack starting to leak but been told most do anyway, IAC replaced twice, Throttle body, TPS, mirror switch, power window switch, & The 10k & 40k major services, New discs & Pads but these are just general things that have to be done. Anyway so i am now waiting for the harmonic balancer, Belt Tensioner, fuel pump, PS Pump, CAS, Oxygen sensors to fail lol. anyway after all the hours of ripping my hair out it runs perfect still :), considering the over temp alarm has gone off 3 times. 3/4 not a complete boil thank god. No way i am selling it i have put to much $$ into it now, only bought it for 2k 3 years back. Just seems to be after 200k everything has just started to let go.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If you buy a cheap car, it gonna end up expensive. Always does.

Not everyone can afford to fork out 20 k at once for a new car soop, but I can handle the costs of maintaining a car. Most parts are cheap and if you can fit ya self like I can it's all sweet

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Not everyone can afford to fork out 20 k at once for a new car soop, but I can handle the costs of maintaining a car. Most parts are cheap and if you can fit ya self like I can it's all sweet

I have to agree that not all of us can afford spending big money up front on cars - maybe soop was referring to a 'good' VS for $6000 or a 'maybe alright' VS for $2000.
Last 50 years I've never bought new or even near new....done a lot of repairs, made a lot of mistakes, probably a heap of regrets but I still love cars and the cheaper the better. I figure if you belong to this forum you are in the same boat, more or less. !

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I dont see the sense in buying a new car,the amount the value drops after its driven out the dealers door is ridiculous,same with all these people who buy a V8 SS or whatever, and then crawl around at 40k's everywhere in them,what a joke..I see it everyday around town here..I think to myself,why didnt they just buy a normal commodore V6 if they are gonna drive it around like granny.I think a lot of these people buy an SS or a V8 to make themselves look good,end up in over their heads,and end up actually scared of driving their car.Its just stupid,nearly every time I see a new SS or whatever,they are doing 40 in it,what a waste of a good car..