Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have read many times that the V6's and V8's VE's Sedans and Wagons have 71 Litre tanks,
But what I can not fathom out, why would you not put longer range tanks in the V8's ? :confused:

I have put 75L in mine once, and that was trickling it in,
otherwise I have put 69 > 70 litres it a few times.
However the average Litrage I have put in is 65L > 68L, and going by the "fuel used", it pretty accurate,
being that is on some work country runs and filling up between towns, as some of the regional towns have cheaper petrol than Melbourne
[eg, Melbourne Petrol is approx 146.9 cpl for 91, Ballarat was 109.9 cpl for 91, and Bendigo was 112.9 cpl [last thursday].

Mine activates Low Fuel at
80k for E10,
70k for 91
60k for E85
It does sounds strainge, but I made notes on my Daily Running Sheet I fill out everday [for the Tax man]
I know you only need to do it for 12 weeks, but I opted to do it for every trip, every day, as it a great record, and for making/keeping notes.

Back to the original post -
I am running 98 at the moment [for the second time in owning the car] so it will be interesting to see at what k's the low fuel will be activated.
The Distance to Empty was 620 km/s.

Also the range is different with the different grades of fuels, with filling up on the way out at the Westgate Bridge Petrol Stations -
[based on a trips from Melbourne to Mildura on the Calder Highway at 565k/m, same route and using Krusing Control :D ] -
E10 - 1/8 of a tank left
91 - just under a 1/4 of a tank left
E85 - had to stop at Ouyen [100k's south of mildura] and get fuel.

The Distance to Empty is always interesting after filling up [these are an average] -
E10 - 480, were I can queeze 540 out of it
91 - 550, were I can squeeze 600 out of it
E85 - 460, were I can squeeze 520 out of it
Taking into account slowing down through the regional/country towns mess's with the fuel economy.

Makes sense given the different burn rates of each of those fuels.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Personally, I doubt that. It's a crap shoot on mine. Sometimes it says 600, others 200. I'd be the way it works is based on how hard you have been driving it for the last x minutes.
Correct. The DTE is based on the most recent driving pattern. When I’m in the city with my SSV it will say 250-300kms on a full tank but if I start driving on the highway it will keep re-estimating higher until you get to 600kms or so after half an hour or so of highway driving.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Personally, I doubt that. It's a crap shoot on mine. Sometimes it says 600, others 200. I'd be the way it works is based on how hard you have been driving it for the last x minutes.

So are you saying my averages are incorrect for Highway driving ?,

That can also depend upon the nature of ones driving,
Harder you drive, the more it drains your wallet. Fuel, Maintenace and Fine's [aka: Voluntree Tax's]
However, I bought the L77 with AFM, because of the best of both worlds, Economy and Power, when I need it,
and the smooth as silk drive on the open road,
it is almost the same efficiency as my VE Series 1, 3.0L SIDI I had between 2009 > 2013, where the 3.0L did stuggle on the odd occasion.
But the L77 is much smoother to drive.

Last edited:

NigelD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Series II 2017
Good to know there is a very low fuel warning, I haven't made it that far yet :)

So, can you remember, how much fuel you put in it when you pushed the limit that hard?
Low fuel light starts flashing when VERY low.