Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how many sub can i run of this amp

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hhhmmm unfortunately it's not as easy as saying "2 15 inch subs will run effectively off that amplifier". You have to look at the total wrms power that would be put out by the 2 15" subs you choose (so 600wrms for 2 of the JBL's (they call it 'nominal' which i believe is almost exactly the same as the wrms rating).

You then have to consider wiring configurations to suit the specific subwoofers and make sure that the amplifier is "x amount of ohms stable". An amplifier will USUALLY produce more power at a lower level of resistance (ohms).

Anyways, if you were to add another one of those JBL's you'd be best wiring it with the voice coils in series and the woofers in parallel for an overall 2 ohm resistance at the amplifier. Go to this page and select the details from the boxes and you'll see a diagram (choose 2 for no. of speakers and 2 ohm dual voice coil for the voice coil impedence):
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Problem is, you'd have 600wrms power handling from the 2 subwoofers and only 360 wrms power from the amplifier. So an answer to your question - yes it would work but you would only be getting a little over half the required power to the subwoofers as compared to what they're rated to handle. So if you had the gains set too high on the amplifier you could cook something or send it into protection mode. In essence, it would work, but wouldn't be providing the power 2 of those subs would deserve.

Hope this helps, cheers, Bryce.

jvys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 03 holden commo
thanks mate that very helpfull indeed do u now any good amps that can handle 2 15'' jbl subs

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Budget?

Because the subs are dual 2 ohm, you should wire them with the coils in series and the subs in parallel. This will provide a two ohm load to the amp.

The 800wrms@1ohm jaycar mono would be good on a budget, still makes enough power into two ohms. Or for nicer brand name gear, something like alpines 600wrms@2ohm mono. Skys the limit really.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
As phree has said, the Jaycar amps give you good bang for buck so you won't be breaking the bank on them and you'll still get decent quality. Check out www.jaycar.com.au and have a look at amplifiers there. There's so many possibilities, let us know how much your willing to spend on the amplifier and i'm sure we'll all give some more suggestions :)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
phree said:
Budget?

Because the subs are dual 2 ohm, you should wire them with the coils in series and the subs in parallel. This will provide a two ohm load to the amp.

The 800wrms@1ohm jaycar mono would be good on a budget, still makes enough power into two ohms. Or for nicer brand name gear, something like alpines 600wrms@2ohm mono. Skys the limit really.
call me stupid but from what i have listened to i would take the jaycar over an alpine offering anyday.
i am not saying this is the case with the jaycar Vs alpine/whatever, but the subs amp is not of huge importance compared to say the speakers amp or h/u OR install. this differs with vented and sealed enclosures a bit due to the damping factor but not heaps.

jvys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 03 holden commo
i wanna spend around $500 mark sumthing that goin to give a sub a work out

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
for that much- jaycar

jvys