Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many trouble-free kays will you get out of a standard Evoke before major trouble occurs.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
As the topic says...assuming that the car is kept fully serviced on time, every time and that only the recommended grade of oil is used. Obviously replies will be guesstimates but I am interested in the longevity of the Commodore as opposed to a Falcon of the same vintage. We all know Falcons clock up nearly a million kays as taxis.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Some falcons ran to 1 million while others died at 200,000.
Like any vehicle something might break on one at 10,000 and others run for 300,000 without issue.
Its the luck of the draw but keeping it serviced and regular checking of things can help prevent road side failures.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Falcons clock up nearly a million kays as taxis
The falcons that aren't taxis and see a million cold starts and short trips don't do a million k's ever seen a taxi with a rusted exhaust?
See plenty of dead falcons with 250k's on them . Not many vf's around here .

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I'd say the 150k mark, alternator/ water pump etc tend to go.

Our 12/09 VE Berlina V6 is at 240k going strong but has has a 7500km servicing since 60k.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
My 2013 is about to tick over 102000. Always properly serviced (not just what holden says need to be done). Use Penrite enviro gf5 and a Ryco ST filter each time. Might change to HPR 5 in a year or so.
Only thing I'm weary of is weird shaking the car does when idling. I'm going to bring it up at my next service but going by what has been said on many other forms on JC its normal for the v6.
Otherwise nothing has gone wrong since I got it at 68000kms.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Having owned a BF wagon, the million kay taxis will be on their 3rd transmission, 4th front end rebuild, and if its a wagon, 2 or 3rd diff.
So they're not that remarkable. The Barra motor if looked after is near indestructable, but the rest, meh.
They need just as much maintenance as any other car.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
As the topic says...assuming that the car is kept fully serviced on time, every time and that only the recommended grade of oil is used. Obviously replies will be guesstimates but I am interested in the longevity of the Commodore as opposed to a Falcon of the same vintage. We all know Falcons clock up nearly a million kays as taxis.

How long is a piece of string...?
A million kms in taxis?? And have you ridden in one of those?
A funeral director's Caprice sedan (we travelled in it for my sister's funeral) has logged 460,000km, and is beautiful inside (cream and faun tones with grey trim) and under the hood. No expense spared in looking after it. But that's not the same with taxis!

Life of engine and car in general depends a lot on how it is used/driven and looked after. Servicing is only part of the equation, but a constant. How you drive it, how often and in what conditions also play a very big part. As for taxis, the owners of the cars rarely have enough money to afford a full scheduled service, and many sit idling away in cities until the next pick-up. Rusted-out exhaust pipes and an odorous interior tell a grim story of constant hard city driving that will take a heavy toll on any engine. I don't believe the popular BF Falcons will outlive anything else on the road. A home neighbour's VE AFM wagon is now approaching 400,000km, and he does a lot of towing for landscaping/handyman work, every day.

The take-away from this is any car you buy, Evoke or SV6 or anything else out there, will provide you with many, many years of driving and use, but how you treat it from the start will determine how it treats your hip-pocket. I don't take my VF wagon anywhere near cities or the gridlock of suburbia.

Boofa Bulmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.0L VF Evoke 2014

To answer your question simply:
My 2014 Evoke just hit 207,000 km's, serviced regularly, only occasionally driven like a hoon, and she's still running strong with no issues.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Driven normally and serviced decently, there's no reason a modern driveline cant do 400-600k kms or more. Things like fuel pumps, alternators, batteries, tyres and water pumps etc are what will need replacing but if you're prepared to replace them, the heavy oily bits last longer than most people wish to keep cars for.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
longer than you think, unless you count an oil change as "servicing".