Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much can the old vn handle......

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
just wondering how many revs the vn can handle before u start to f#@k up the engine. (this questions is prob like askin how long is a piece of string) on the basis u takin the rev limiter out....can u also f*#k it red lineing constantly

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I'd say that redlining any car constantly would fu-ck it. Something, somewhere in the car will break, soon, under that stress.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Well the standard VN will redline at 5 and 1/2.... so thats when instantanious damage occurs... the rest of the time itts just progressive damage. The reason a VN will shift at 2-2.5 is because thats not only a good fuel saving rev range but because its an acceptible amout of revs to take before the engine eqperiences to much load.

Take the example of a guy running down a road. When your jogging you can see everyhting that is happening in front of you, all the rocks, cracks and sticks. Its fairly safe. Then, as he speeds up, his corordination between his legs and body lessens, the hazards on the road increase as vision becomes less accurate and eventually he will run too fast and something will give, be it his legs will lock up, hill trip, slip or something. Same with an engine..... just no sticks and more piston rings.

aZk.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It should be able to run at anything under the redline for any length of time without breaking :) at least within the first 100,000kms. (That's why Holden made the limiter at 5400) But for quick spurts of revs I'd say a little over 6000 rpm would be safe enough. I've had my VN up around there lots of times and it still goes the same as allways with almost 300,000ks on the clock

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i tend to agree...taking it to the limiter (or over) every now and then should be fine as long as its not sustained for long durations (ie, doing heli's or donuts..etc.). giving the engine a bit of full throttle now and again is actually a good way to keep it running nicely, it gives everything a nice work out, especially things like injectors.

R

Reggie

well mate i have a manual vn and i always tell my mates that when the car starts to jerk and surge at 5500rpm the car is just telling me to change gears.hahaha vn's were built for this sort of thing. they love it. you will probly find that when you drive your car like a grandpa it will break down things will go wrong, but if you thrash it she will go forever. so... rev limiter a day, keeps the mechanic away.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
i found when my car was dead stock it would strain to rev to 3-4 grand, but no with all the breathing mods it's more than happy to rev to 5 grand everytime i give it a booting which is alot, and i have hit the limiter once or twice, and recalling the digital tacho it read out 6020rpm so i take it the limiter is at 6thou cause the the thing just bounced off it.

R

RaYDeR

i hate to tell you guys but the rev limit in the vn's is 5800rpm. and seeing as the computer cuts the injectors off when you reach the limiter then you'd be very lucky to see anywhere even close to 6000rpm unless you were rolling down hill at speed. they call it a rev limiter for a reason you know. anyways, i guess i could be called a bit of a hoon and have had my vn on redline through the first four gears on frequent occasions and it has survived the 40,000km i put on the clock since i bought it. one of the main reasons there is a rev limiter is because of spring rates etc in the heads. if you could disable the rev limiter and take it above 1000rpm the rocker springs would most likely bind and the valves would bounce too or even stay open because of spring binding. to be able to go past the rev limiter you would be looking at aftermarket rockers and springs at the very least. that and bearings. by all means correct me if i'm wrong.