Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much can the old vn handle......

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by S Pack, Jul 30, 2006.

1. S Pack

S Pack Topped out @ 230kph

Members Ride:
    Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
    just wondering how many revs the vn can handle before u start to f#@k up the engine. (this questions is prob like askin how long is a piece of string) on the basis u takin the rev limiter out....can u also f*#k it red lineing constantly

2. jack.mc

jack.mc Nothing witty to say :(

Members Ride:
    VN Vacationer
    I'd say that redlining any car constantly would fu-ck it. Something, somewhere in the car will break, soon, under that stress.

3. azkwazere

azkwazere Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....

Members Ride:
    VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
    Well the standard VN will redline at 5 and 1/2.... so thats when instantanious damage occurs... the rest of the time itts just progressive damage. The reason a VN will shift at 2-2.5 is because thats not only a good fuel saving rev range but because its an acceptible amout of revs to take before the engine eqperiences to much load.

Take the example of a guy running down a road. When your jogging you can see everyhting that is happening in front of you, all the rocks, cracks and sticks. Its fairly safe. Then, as he speeds up, his corordination between his legs and body lessens, the hazards on the road increase as vision becomes less accurate and eventually he will run too fast and something will give, be it his legs will lock up, hill trip, slip or something. Same with an engine..... just no sticks and more piston rings.

aZk.

4. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    It should be able to run at anything under the redline for any length of time without breaking :) at least within the first 100,000kms. (That's why Holden made the limiter at 5400) But for quick spurts of revs I'd say a little over 6000 rpm would be safe enough. I've had my VN up around there lots of times and it still goes the same as allways with almost 300,000ks on the clock

5. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    i tend to agree...taking it to the limiter (or over) every now and then should be fine as long as its not sustained for long durations (ie, doing heli's or donuts..etc.). giving the engine a bit of full throttle now and again is actually a good way to keep it running nicely, it gives everything a nice work out, especially things like injectors.

6. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    Yeah, when my vn starts to splutter a little I just tend to open her up for a bit and she'll know what to do. Good as new.

7. Reggie

Reggie Guest

well mate i have a manual vn and i always tell my mates that when the car starts to jerk and surge at 5500rpm the car is just telling me to change gears.hahaha vn's were built for this sort of thing. they love it. you will probly find that when you drive your car like a grandpa it will break down things will go wrong, but if you thrash it she will go forever. so... rev limiter a day, keeps the mechanic away.

8. CSL

CSL Member

Members Ride:
    missus (in more ways than one)
    i found when my car was dead stock it would strain to rev to 3-4 grand, but no with all the breathing mods it's more than happy to rev to 5 grand everytime i give it a booting which is alot, and i have hit the limiter once or twice, and recalling the digital tacho it read out 6020rpm so i take it the limiter is at 6thou cause the the thing just bounced off it.

9. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    93 VR, 97 VT, 95 Statesman
    yer ive had mine up to about 5 and its takin it pritty well

10. RaYDeR

RaYDeR Guest

i hate to tell you guys but the rev limit in the vn's is 5800rpm. and seeing as the computer cuts the injectors off when you reach the limiter then you'd be very lucky to see anywhere even close to 6000rpm unless you were rolling down hill at speed. they call it a rev limiter for a reason you know. anyways, i guess i could be called a bit of a hoon and have had my vn on redline through the first four gears on frequent occasions and it has survived the 40,000km i put on the clock since i bought it. one of the main reasons there is a rev limiter is because of spring rates etc in the heads. if you could disable the rev limiter and take it above 1000rpm the rocker springs would most likely bind and the valves would bounce too or even stay open because of spring binding. to be able to go past the rev limiter you would be looking at aftermarket rockers and springs at the very least. that and bearings. by all means correct me if i'm wrong.

11. vq rat

vq rat vq rat

Members Ride:
    vn bt1 burnout weapon
    The old vn can hadle heaps of revs they love it ,but if you are going to hold her on the limter its olny going to rev as hard as the memcel is programed too allow it to rev stock is 5800rpm as is noted in rayder post but there is not much point reving it all the way to the limter as they dont make eney more power after 4800rpm it just sounds sweet getting it up on the limter , i have a lot of mate as well as my self that flog the ring out of them and they are still going strong with lots of kms on the clocks , it just comes down to servicing, oil is cheap insurance on motor life, but i had my old vn 6 manaul that had a lot of work done to it(14 psi hadfeild blower,port and polshed heads and so on)and when i upgraded the valve spings and retaners i found all but two retaners to be cracked (dorp a valve) so it is very hard on them as well as incresed combuston chamber temp this will cause melted pistons in the worse case cos the fuel helps to cool them but hey it sounds sweet

12. PaRaDoX

PaRaDoX Because Racecouch...

Members Ride:
    none
    mine does up to 6000rpm now, dosnt handle it the best but still gets there, heat would build up quickly at that rpm if it blows up it blows up :D