Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much could I get for my car privately? Estimates?

Darren_X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS/Lexcen CSI
Hi,

I was just wondering, if I sold my car privately, what could I hope to get for it? Here's the low down on what it is:

1996 Lexcen/VS
Fully stock/No mods
All tyres have good tread
Brakes are perhaps a little over halfway gone
Getting towards 180 000kms
Has brand new: Timing belt, thermostat, tensioner pulley + 2 others (not sure which)
Paint is a little thinned out on boot lid and roof. SMALL patches.
No major accidents (2 minor collisions with other vehicles, only relatively small local cosmetic damage)
Regular log book services
Spare key
Picture included on my profile

It's had an elderly driver for most of its life, and me for less than a year. Never been thrashed. Clean, tidy. Is there anything else you could possibly want to know?

I'm just keen to know what I could get for it. Any estimates would be much appreciated. Thanks

VS_Adelaide

--> Newbie Alert
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V6
HiYa :)

You could get a better idea by also checking out other ad's on places like GumTree in your local state via internet( it's free to place an advertisement there & you can add photos of the car) & check out Trading Post, Local paper etc.
If you get your car serviced at a mechanic perhaps ask him what would be a good price range to aim within?
Cheers.

P.S I just bought my VS 1996 Commodore S2 Executive for $2000, the guy I purchased from had it advertised for $2800 Neg. Body is in A1 condition (paint etc) no dings/scratches. New battery, 2 months rego, aircon, power steering, dual airbags, dual fuel, CD palyer etc... hope this gives some kind of price range to work from.

Last edited:

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
I'd say around the $3500 mark mate, but yeah do some research an see what they're going for around your area

Darren_X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS/Lexcen CSI
Yeah, I've had a look on carsales.com.au, and what you said hendorockstar was what I was thinking hopefully. Thing with that is the varied situations of the sellers etc. Just thought I'd put it to the forum and see what you guys thought. Thanks!

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Check out redbook.com mate, that will be your best bet.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
for a lexcen you would be lucky to get $2000

johnsy_vs

=Johnsy=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
if selling with 12 mnths rego probly round bout 3k i got my vs off a mate, done me a good deal at 2500 with 11 mnths rego.... but as everyone said shop around and also look at what everyone is selling theirs for to get a rough estimate..

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
$2-3000 depending how well you can present it. I wouldn't pay more than $3k no matter how well you dressed it up