Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much does a new alternator cost?

zZBaLLeRzZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Do new alternators come with a new regulator already attatched or do you have too buy seperate etc?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Some do as their regulator is inbuilt but most don't as it's either a seperate unit or attached to the alternator in some way, depends on the make of the vehicle.

Simple test to check your alternator / regulator is to start it up, connect a multimeter to the battery terminals, check the shown voltage, normal should be around 14.5 volts, if the regulator is shot the voltage could be anything or nothing, usually when the regulator is gone you will boil the battery, so fluid will be visible on top of the battery after a drive.

If you only see 12v something is broken, while a car will run dead loss for a while if not driven at night it's not advised with cars that have computers as it could well just stop dead on the side of the road once a certain voltage is reached, then your really stuck.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i got a reconditioned one for 150 bux and a swap, like they took my old one (which died) and i paid 150 for a reco one

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Wish i could actually do it myself, but i'm mechanically challenged I have hard time finding the right end of a spanner most of the time.. :hit:

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
i wouldn't waste money on a new, get fully reconditioned, about the $150 mark.

marie_ma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 1994
VR commodore alternator

I bought a new alternator for my car, VR 1994. The alternator charge rate 14.75. Cost me part $260, labour $70, total of $330. It come with a one year warranty for the part.
I am not sure that consider cheap or expensive.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
most of the time its just the reg that goes in the alternator, about 70 bucks fit it your self and your set

mine went charging at 12.5 constint replaced reg and now it charges 14.5 there abouts

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
i snatched one on eBay for $20. takes 10 minutes to fit. sorry but $320 to get an altinator and fit it in is highway robbery

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
haha i brought 2 for my vp they were $10 each one i still in the shed the other been on the car for nearly 2 years now

$320 fitted wowzers thats expensive

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
haha i brought 2 for my vp they were $10 each one i still in the shed the other been on the car for nearly 2 years now

$320 fitted wowzers thats expensive

u win the game of alternators haha