Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much faster is VS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
1991_Vn2nV said:
They have the same gear ratio's.

When it comes to Automatics, at full throttle the VS will change later than the VN. It revs out more than the VN does.

so wat would explain the differences in my VN and my mates VS. He has stock box, i got mine rebuit with the shift kit but the guy mentioned somethin about rev limiter but i didnt think that would make much diff

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
S Pack said:
so wat would explain the differences in my VN and my mates VS. He has stock box, i got mine rebuit with the shift kit but the guy mentioned somethin about rev limiter but i didnt think that would make much diff

Your mates auto is not shifting at the correct point...

The VN has a rev limiter at 5750 rpm or something like that which is why it will change earlier than the VS, which goes into redline in auto before it changes (when foot is planted).

VS will change just after 6,000rpm compared to 5,500 for the VN. VN should change around 60km/h on a flat road and the VS should be the same, perhaps 65km/h

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
1991_Vn2nV said:

The VN has a rev limiter at 5750 rpm or something like that which is why it will change earlier than the VS, which goes into redline in auto before it changes (when foot is planted).

VS will change just after 6,000rpm compared to 5,500 for the VN. VN should change around 60km/h on a flat road and the VS should be the same, perhaps 65km/h

5618 rpm

i tested in my mates VS, (97 series II)
the gear shift points are changed when using ecco/power...
probbly due to the VS making its power higher up the rpm range,
power ie overdrive in a VS shifts later probbly making use of the power
where a vn's over drive in the turbo700 shifts earlier than normal drive, again this is probbly because the vn makes its power at a lower range than the VS

but remember the VS is a completely redesigned engine compared the VN-VR
like matched ports, new head design, and they decreased the size of the conrods and moved things around a bit... which obviously modified the power band
but id have to agree the VS is slower, i took my mate by a 1.5 carlengths (IN THE CALAIS !!!!) off the line to 80km/h.... once it gets going its not a slow car tho

and as for handling... PFFFT id take a VN with rear end weight anyday over a VS its a fact they all handle crap stock, bodyroll isnt fun... hehehe but then again i dont have that issue.. *watches foam start ranting at us kids*

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
In V6 guise they are not. That aside, having owned both models at near new the VS is so much better in almost every other way.

Reaper

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Reaper said:
In V6 guise they are not. That aside, having owned both models at near new the VS is so much better in almost every other way.

Reaper

The Buick engine is renowned for its reliability OVER the Ecotecs. Also the VN is quicker. The VN handles better. The interior is almost the exact same. Centre console is the same. Dash is different and the VS exec dash is better than the VN one. The VS brakes better. Stock for stock a VS exec looks better than a VN exec. The VS air con kills the VN air con also.

Thats my summary anyway.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I like the VS's :) as far as I can see a live axel 5 liter manual executive with FE2, like the one outside here (my brothers) is the perfect Commodore, you really couldn't improve on it!, its light, fast, sounds INSANE with the 5 liter and the whine from the gears in the manual (drool) and the interior is nice without being fat

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My s1 VN (manual)will beat my S2 VS anyday of the week, the VS revs harder but the VN makes good torque almost right from idle which gives it a good 1/4 mile time. but i'm sure if you did a comparison of lets say 80-120km the VS would be better. the ecotec in a VN would go hard though:yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I would say that the VN V6 has more punch straight off idle than my 5 liter, it's certainly able to throw stuff from the hole in the dash closer to the back seat than the V8 can on launch

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
1991_Vn2nV said:

My old tranny would shift out of 1st @ 4100rpm flat stick in Drive, The new one 5100-5200rpm in drive.
greenfoam said:
I would say that the VN V6 has more punch straight off idle than my 5 liter, it's certainly able to throw stuff from the hole in the dash closer to the back seat than the V8 can on launch
My Sub box behind the back seat is now in the house:D It was nailed in there before i got it and since i have had it it's fell out 7 times:p So i took it out.

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
is there really a .9 second difference in serious 1 and 2, cuse iv driven both and they feel pretty much the same

Status
Not open for further replies.