Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much for a 5l

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
ok so im getting kinda bored with the 6 in my vs, ive done the usual mods like CAI, extractors wit 2.5inch exhaust and yellaterra rockers but after hearing a vt with the 5L that came in to work this week i really want one lol. at the moment im an apprentice so i make bugger all money so it would be a while before the motor will be in my car but that doesnt bother me too much. Just wondering how much i can expect to pay for a 5L and whether i should try to get one from lets say a newer one like from a vs or vt? or older like vn or vp?

once i get the motor i might keep it in the shed for a while and just slowly do it up with all the good bits
icon12.gif

so just trying to get some opinions of what some people think
cheers

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
well for starters, you cant put an older motor into a newer car so there goes the VN/VP option.
should be able to pick up a VT 5L complete ready to go car for not a lot since most want the 5.7L.
easier option.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Psssch, yes you can. I'm pretty sure none of the critical emissions stuff changed on the 304 from '89 to '96.

That said, if you can source a 304 from a VT, it would be good for a few reasons. I'll let someone else fill you in at not 2:45 am :p

bed now.

xoxoxo

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
well for starters, you cant put an older motor into a newer car so there goes the VN/VP option.
should be able to pick up a VT 5L complete ready to go car for not a lot since most want the 5.7L.
easier option.

That's not true, you have to run a engine that passed the same or a newer ADR. 86-97 are all the same ADR.

So yes you can run a 5litre from the VN-VS no problem just just choose one that has is in the best condition :).

Expect to pay a grand for the motor only, you might be able to get everything inc gearbox/loom/radiator for about 1,500

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
a few things u need to change to use the vt 5L, but it is slightly higher in compresion

dastig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1
VT has roller cam, avoid the getrag box as it is expensive to rebuild, but once it is rebuilt it is a good box, stronger than the t5. any motor you buy you should flip upside down and do the big ends and main bearings and the rear main seal, about $200 in parts and easy as, also give the oil pick up a thorough clean up.