Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much for a set of heads and a cam?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
enhancedss said:
me personally i wouldnt worry about a front cut, just get engine/box/wiring and ecu.....

as everything else will be different thats my opinion.

also what car u going to fit it to.

if your working on a budget, how much are u willing to spend on the project, cause by the time u do fuel system and exhaust and tuning, etc...and all the other litlle things it will end up more than 10k easy....

It will be going into another vn wagon. I'm just tossing up between heavy worked 5L or a stockish GEN3, the GEN3 would definately be more unique and possible from the kits CRS do. Wouldnt it be easier with the front cut? I could just set it all up exactly as I found it in the donor car? And I wouldnt have to go source things such as the longer throttle cable and hydrolic clutch setup's etc. And I figured my budget to be around the 10K mark, maybe a bit more.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
vn6pwr said:
It will be going into another vn wagon. I'm just tossing up between heavy worked 5L or a stockish GEN3, the GEN3 would definately be more unique and possible from the kits CRS do. Wouldnt it be easier with the front cut? I could just set it all up exactly as I found it in the donor car? And I wouldnt have to go source things such as the longer throttle cable and hydrolic clutch setup's etc. And I figured my budget to be around the 10K mark, maybe a bit more.

Speaking from experience, it is a nightmare engineering an LS1 into a VN.

As for the original poster, with sonny doing your mods, you cannot go wrong, he is one of the best in sydney.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
minux said:
Speaking from experience, it is a nightmare engineering an LS1 into a VN.

As for the original poster, with sonny doing your mods, you cannot go wrong, he is one of the best in sydney.

I'm willing to go the hard yards. Ill give CRS a ring to find out exactly what they provide and what else is needed, then I willl decide between the ls1 and the 5L. What would be the performance difference between the 2??

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'm willing to go the hard yards. Ill give CRS a ring to find out exactly what they provide and what else is needed, then I willl decide between the ls1 and the 5L. What would be the performance difference between the 2??

Put it this way, i spent close to $35k on my 355 paxton blown VN SS(Engine and charger only), i spent 9k on my VT SS and it was quicker and N/A.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Put it this way, i spent close to $35k on my 355 paxton blown VN SS(Engine and charger only), i spent 9k on my VT SS and it was quicker and N/A.

What is have you done to the VT, Thats suprising that it goes better, especially since the VN was a stroker with similar cubes as the LS1, not to mention forced induction... I think im going down the N/A 304 stroker path running high compression because you can get the motors pretty cheap now and they bolt straight in and im not after a weapon.

VYMaloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 1 Maloo
Shop around for better prices and source some parts yourself , eg I got my Comp Cam , 918's and pushrods from the States delivered for $924 . The cam is an off the shelf grind that many local workshops told me would have to be custom ground and cost extra . There are workshops in Sydney with runs on the board that will do heads for the $1200 -$1500 mark and instal and dial the cam in correctly for $800-$900 .Buy your u/d pulley as well and have it all fitted at once then source your OTR and just need a tune next , which can be done for cam from $800 tuned with a wideband . If you budget $5k including OTR you should be on your way unless you need exhaust which a decent system can be bought from most places these days for $1500 + .