Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much for a set of heads and a cam?

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Hey people, at the moment Ive got a exhaust and thats it. I don't want to waste my time by fitting little bolt on that only give me a few extra kw here and there.
I drive a VT clubsport LS1... What i want to know is how much for a set of heads and a lumpy cam for a LS1 and how much more power would i gain from this. In the future i would like to think I'm getting a s/c or a turbo set up but first i need the internals to handle the power...Or should i just go speak with the guys at Marranos or Sam's performance at Sydney?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Ive just had complete top end and a few other little quiet mods ;) done at higgins(Fastest LS1 in aus), i spent just under 15k, pushing alot of pwer but dont want to give true figures until a few other thinsg are done, lets just say i am exceeding 320rwkw ;)

I personally would go to marrano's speak to them there, for a daily driver too big a cam would be a pain int he ass, the GenT setup is a nice way to go, but cop bait.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
u can supercharge a stock ls1 no worries.

my own personal opinion just go a camshaft only not heads, as unless u are going a huge cam, for high rev power only then remove heads.

a nice 224/228 with a 112, from comp is a nice grind camshaft, fitted many and they work well accross a broad power range.

heres a link, as ive got a blower kit for sale at the moment.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=41770

vxchev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 CALAIS V8
GROWLZ said:
Hey people, at the moment Ive got a exhaust and thats it. I don't want to waste my time by fitting little bolt on that only give me a few extra kw here and there.
I drive a VT clubsport LS1... What i want to know is how much for a set of heads and a lumpy cam for a LS1 and how much more power would i gain from this. In the future i would like to think I'm getting a s/c or a turbo set up but first i need the internals to handle the power...Or should i just go speak with the guys at Marranos or Sam's performance at Sydney?

Search for their websites to see what they have on offer then give them a call to discuss. You might want to trade up to an LS6 manifold, decent set of headers wouldn't be a bad idea and a PCM tune. That will wake up the VT.

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Well i spoke with Sonny from Marrano's by email and this is the quote he gave me..

Steve,

We use higgins heads & comp cams gear only,a head cam pakage is listed below,though i cant cater for any extra's ur car will need, ie: rad hoses ? or something thats gone brital or items subject to wear and tear etc,

Head camdrive in drive out $6500approx includes the following

-Higgins ported heads withcomp cams valve springs(stage 2)

-Comp Cams Marranos custom camshaft (grinded to ur needs)

-Comp Cams pro-magnum lifters

-Genuine head gaskets

-Genuine Coolant

-Mobil hp engine oil

-Genuine Oil Filter

-Genuine Coolant

-A/C Regased

-NGK Spark Plugs

-Genuine Fuel Filter

-GTS pipe boot + clamps

-Second hole Mod

-K&N Filter

-Custom Mafless Tune

-Labour to fit pakage

-Before & after dyno run

-Options are as follows

-Over the radiator Intake $600 fitted

-Diff Ratio change with all new internals $1300 fitted

-Textralia Clutch Kit $ 1770 fitted

-How Much power will this pakage make ? depends on wat cam u pick but anywhere between 250 to 300rwkw,it all depends on ur engine as they are all diff,more power levels doesnt necessarily mean lots of power,some cars that make 260rwkw drive alot nicer than cars that make 290rwkw,the key is low down torque,hope this answers ur questions,if you have any other further queries,please do not hesitate to email me.

:)

regards sonny

What do you guys reckon, its that sound about right?

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah thats about the going rate for a head and cam combo.

depending on size of cam also depends on injectors and fuel pump etc.

the cam id personally run, is a comp 224/228 and a 112 lobe sep.

the only down fall with a cammed car is the bigger the cam, the higher it works in the revs, so u loose the low down power to make high rpm power, hence u loose torque down low.

also consider if u want to sell the car, how much work is envolved in transformingthe car back to original status for sale of car....

this is where forced induction is the key, the power levels and driveability/ fuel economy u get, is far better than a car with a camshaft installed.

From my experience in my own personal cars ive had, cammed cars, nitrous cars, turbod and supercharged cars, u cant beat forced induction for reliability, and performance eg the power output for money spent.

Have u consideered buying a secondhand vortec blower kit, or a new blower kit from eg capa, for 4k, all fitted and tuned will be approx 6.5k.

I hope this info helps in your decision.

Cheers

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Off topic, thought i would post here as i dont want to start a new thread. How much would a complete, low km LS1 inc. Manual box, ECU & wiring loom set me back??
Cheers

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
you would have to look at approx 5-7k depending on condition etc.......

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Thanks mate, It's for a project car, I think I might look around for a front cut if I can, that way i can get all the gear i need out of it, and cut down on small things that could be a bummer to find. I'd be willing to spend 5k on a complete motor but what about a front cut if I end up doing that, what do you recommend??

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn6pwr said:
Thanks mate, It's for a project car, I think I might look around for a front cut if I can, that way i can get all the gear i need out of it, and cut down on small things that could be a bummer to find. I'd be willing to spend 5k on a complete motor but what about a front cut if I end up doing that, what do you recommend??

me personally i wouldnt worry about a front cut, just get engine/box/wiring and ecu.....

as everything else will be different thats my opinion.

also what car u going to fit it to.

if your working on a budget, how much are u willing to spend on the project, cause by the time u do fuel system and exhaust and tuning, etc...and all the other litlle things it will end up more than 10k easy....