Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much for an L67 cam install?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Sweet - I'll give chilton's a call and we'll see what they have to say.

thanks acarmody

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Your welcome, good luck.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I was advised my top end would need a freshen up with a performance cam. The numbers they were talking burst my budget bubble so I decided to leave it.
Basically it was suggested I'd have no change from $1600 if everything went well. Planning to open up the exhaust and revisit the cam at a later date.

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
I was advised my top end would need a freshen up with a performance cam. The numbers they were talking burst my budget bubble so I decided to leave it.
Basically it was suggested I'd have no change from $1600 if everything went well. Planning to open up the exhaust and revisit the cam at a later date.

I got quoted 1200 for cam, double row timing chain and tune. Then it was atleast $600+ for installation. Cam is a very dear option and i have also have put it on back burner :(

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
Stage 1 comp cam from mace engineering : $650

They say :
"This cam was designed for use with totally stock heads. Stock springs, collets, retainers, lifters and pushrods are fine. Springs, retainers, and pushrods are recommended for shift points over 6200rpm. <...> Look for gains of 26-37kW depending on your car's current configuration.

So I take this to mean that the cams drop in without replacing anything else - but keep it under 6200rpm ?

wow 1600 odd dollars for a 26-37kw gain or have i read it wrong

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
wow 1600 odd dollars for a 26-37kw gain or have i read it wrong

Pretty much. Plus if IMO id be looking at cam bearings, lifters, everything. So it would cost more. I don't see the point of sticking a cam in a tired engine without doing the rest? It would be ok in a fresh motor to just plonk cam in on old bearings.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
The thing is, it's not just 30kw, it's 30kw more. Initial mods are relatively cheap for each kw gained, but the further you go, the higher the cost per kw gained. Every time I reach a point of saying no more $$ I eventually get the itch to get "just a little more power", and each time that "little more" is going to cost a lot more.

Then I tell myself, I'm never going to get the Calais to go as well as as a falcon with a factory turbo anyway.

Then, if I got myself that FG turbo G6E, I'd be looking at how I could get "just that little bit more" ...