Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much for an L67 cam install?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
So high ration roller rockers are a poor mans alternative to a good cam - given that it's a bolt on mod at DIY level - but searching the forum tells me that $600 and an hour or two of DIY will get me 5-10 extra kw.

I have an L67 running 10psi - the question is, how much to get a cam supplied and installed - and what sort of gains are we talking (for something that remains subtle enough for every day use)

High flow cats and a decent cat back are on the way - but looking at the engine first.

cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmm for a cam is about $600, then you will need new lifters $250, depending on the profile you may need new springs, collets, retainers (though that applies to rockers too). Possibly new cam bearings, not sure on price. Then you get too labour. I would work on about $1000.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
All up $1000 I'd jump in for sure.

Any recommendations around Brisbane S'Side

airforceone

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais superc6
id like to hear were in bris too,

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Chilton's Engineering, The Gabba.

I've seen that name a few times, maybe give them a call?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Stage 1 comp cam from mace engineering : $650

They say :
"This cam was designed for use with totally stock heads. Stock springs, collets, retainers, lifters and pushrods are fine. Springs, retainers, and pushrods are recommended for shift points over 6200rpm. <...> Look for gains of 26-37kW depending on your car's current configuration.

So I take this to mean that the cams drop in without replacing anything else - but keep it under 6200rpm ?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah pretty much, but that's OK since your not making any power at those RPMs anyway.

If the springs, retainers, collets, etc, are worn you will still need to replace them. How many KMs has your engine done?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have 150000ks on mine. I guess I'd be guided by the 'installer' on what needs replacing.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmmm may need replacing or may not.....yet. But some parts will last ages while the same parts in other vehicles can die sooner, luck of the draw really.

Just make sure you tell the installer that you will source all your own parts, that way they are less likely to suggest replacing things that aren't needed.