Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much fuel used when gauge on empty?

mcgd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi all,

On earlier Commodores (VT - VY), if the fuel gauge was sitting on empty, the tank would always take 60L or so to fill. I'm finding that on the VE Berlina I'm putting in 70L or so. I was wondering if my gauge is faulty - a dealer said it should be taking 62L, but at the same time tried to convince me that nothing was wrong. I'm getting 70 pretty consistently, and using around 35L when it's showing half full. Is this what other people are experiencing too, or is my gauge not calibrated properly? Does the VE have similar fuel gauge problems to the VZ?

BTW it's disappointing that Holden seem to be admitting they've given up on making an accurate fuel gauge, by disabling the "distance to empty" when fuel is low. Anyone know if there's a way to turn this on again (and if it's worth doing if so)?

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
I've got distance to empty on mine (SSV), though it changes to read 'low' when it gets to about 60kms remaining - I guess because fuel usage is so variable depending on throttle usage etc.

maybe you just need to enable it? use the trip button to go to the customised menu options, click select (the left scroll wheel) to enter and have a hunt around

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
oh, and I get around 63 litres in to mine most of the time - though I don't always wait for it to be fully empty.

Looking back at my Christmas trip to Melbourne, the most I added was 68.9 though I can't remember how into/below the red it was, so sorry if this isn't really that helpful :(

mcgd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
do you stop the bowser on the first click or do you keep going?

I normally go for around 4 clicks. Makes only 1/2 litre difference or less though usually vs. just stopping at the first click.

BTW I had a look around the options and there doesn't seem to be anything to re-enable distance to empty when fuel is low.

mcgd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
oh, and I get around 63 litres in to mine most of the time - though I don't always wait for it to be fully empty.

Looking back at my Christmas trip to Melbourne, the most I added was 68.9 though I can't remember how into/below the red it was, so sorry if this isn't really that helpful :(

Thanks for that info anyway - looks like mine might be showing empty later than normal.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Hi all,
Does the VE have similar fuel gauge problems to the VZ?

BTW it's disappointing that Holden seem to be admitting they've given up on making an accurate fuel gauge, by disabling the "distance to empty" when fuel is low. Anyone know if there's a way to turn this on again (and if it's worth doing if so)?

My Vz was fine as is My current VE... where has Holden admitted having an inaccurate fuel gauge ?

I have fuel low and fuel very low when i run it down...

And yeah you would want that feature if you could.... contact your Holden dealer if your car does not do this.....

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
73L Tank?

Hi, I normally refill before the low fuel warning light comes on, which is about 65L for me.

The old VS II and VY II would also come on with about 8L of fuel remaining.

However, one day I ran well past low fuel warning and. planning to go a reasonable distance straight away, filled it well past the first click. I was a bit shocked to find that I had added 75L into the 73L tank.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
What about when you use the engineerers mode (holding select button in while starting up.) There is a real-time fuel usage and fuel remaining in litres. Does this dissapear when getting too low.

I also know that when driving 'low fuel' will show up twice while driving followed by "very low fuel" or something like that the third time.

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
BTW I had a look around the options and there doesn't seem to be anything to re-enable distance to empty when fuel is low.

According to the manual - page 1A-21, "Range" is available in all models except LPG, so it should be there. Do note though that like I said earlier, once the range (or distance to empty) gets below 50 or 60km, it simply says 'low'.