Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much is a 304 v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodores86

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a vk commodore
Hey, just wondering how much a vn or vp 5 litre v8 costs and how much work would i have to do to put it in a vn that used to have a v6?
Could 2 cams be able to fit into a vn or vp 5 litre v8?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hey, just wondering how much a vn or vp 5 litre v8 costs:
$1500 with transmission and loom and K frame, plus extra for V8 brakes and suspension.

and how much work would i have to do to put it in a vn that used to have a v6:
Give yourself a week if you know what you're doing, and a month if you have no idea.

Could 2 cams be able to fit into a vn or vp 5 litre v8:
You can put as many cams in there as you want, but they'll just bounce around and break stuff.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Just buy one that already has one,much easier.

Commodores86

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a vk commodore
Does anybody know if i be able to get a vn or vp with a vp for 2 and a half grand in SA? How big is the largest cam for a 5 litre v8?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Does anybody know if i be able to get a vn or vp with a vp for 2 and a half grand in SA?

You can't get a VN with a VP. You can only get a VP with a VP. And the only way to find out if you can get a VP for that price, is to LOOK. eBay, Carsales, trading post, actual car yards... there are a lot of ways to find out. This information doesn't just magically happen.

How big is the largest cam for a 5 litre v8?

You'll find they're all the same size - roughly 21⅜" long, and 1⅞" in diameter at the bearings.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate you are asking stupid question so YOU have to look around like morton said and in those places. You CAN"T fit extra cams to a engine, they are made as a integal part of the engine so can only me changed over for one of the right type.
A large cam (refers to valve timing and duration that valves are open) will NOT run in a standard engine. If you were to try you would have borken valve springs, rocker arms nd maybe valves hitting piston.

If you do not understand this then you are to STUPID to won a commodore go buy a ford.

Commodores86

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a vk commodore
what's a good exhaust system to go with a 304 v8, a lukey performance exhaust or some thing else that's about 3 inch to 3.5 inch?
Which actually sounds better on a 304 v8 a 2.5 inch, a 3 inch, or 3.5 inch exhaust system? How much would it cost all up, probably around 1500?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Everyone has different tastes in exhaust note, some like the crispy sound of a 2.5 inch single, some like the deep 3 inch singles, some like the growl of a twin system. Price can be anywhere fom 20 bucks to 2500

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I smell a troll.

121136461172.jpg

But on the off-chance that you're just not quite all there, the best exhaust for a vn with a vp and two cams, is probably just a single 2.5".

Status
Not open for further replies.