Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much is a 304 v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok highjack time:D I have a VP Everything standard, V6 auto ect ect. Now i've had it for a little while, and even though it wasnt the V8 i had wanted, it wasnt an option at the time. But, it will however be an option in the near future.

Is it really a lot cheaper and easier to just sell it and buy the car i want, or it unreasonable to want to build it. I ask because i've become quite fond of the car , and it's overall condition. View in my ride..."Big Girl":thumbsup:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
There's nothing wrong with a project :) If you want something to do, and you don't mind having the car off the road for a couple of weeks, there's nothing wrong with dropping a V8 into your current car.

People will tell you not to, and that it's cheaper just to buy a V8, but don't listen :) They're right - granted - but then where's the fun in that?

Take me for example - I bought a Statesman, and I'm downgrading it below Executive level. No aircon, no power steering, no sound deadening... I should have bought a HQ Kingswood, right? But where would the fun be in that? :)

You can buy a crashed V8 for about $1500 - $2000 depending on whether you want a manual, and rip all the running gear out. Swap it into yours, and strip the wrecked car for spare parts.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks Morton, and yeah a lot of people have said to me in the past just take the cheaper and quicker option, but hey, i like my car!! I've gotten to know it, and i know it's good point and bad points now. If i go and buy another car, already with a V8 manual (gotta be manual or it aint worth doing!!) then i feel as though i would be starting all over again. To the drawing board it is then:D

Commodores86

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a vk commodore
Is getting a hsv 185 kilowatts v8 engine better option then getting a vn or vp v8 that's only 165 kilowatts and putting 2 turbos and a cam into the hsv engine? How much louder is a hsv 185 kilowatt v8 compared to a normal 304? If i get a hsv 185 kilowatt and put a cam and ad a 2.5 inch exhaust would that get me unwanted attention from the guys in blue?
I want to have tips out both sides, instead of a normal single tip, how much would one cost?

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
Is getting a hsv 185 kilowatts v8 engine better option then getting a vn or vp v8 that's only 165 kilowatts and putting 2 turbos and a cam into the hsv engine? How much louder is a hsv 185 kilowatt v8 compared to a normal 304? If i get a hsv 185 kilowatt and put a cam and ad a 2.5 inch exhaust would that get me unwanted attention from the guys in blue?
I want to have tips out both sides, instead of a normal single tip, how much would one cost?

this "185 killowats engine ' is just a memcal upgrade / knocksensor / and hsv headers and a cold air intake that makes that extra 20kw .. they dont sound no diferent from what i know . and a proper exhaust can cost ya from 500-2500 depending on what u want . mild steel / stainless

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah dude same motor!!! and seriously 2 turbo's and a cam, what's next NOS?? and what's this going into a VN/VP? seriously dude if you had that kind of money to be throwing around you'd be driving around in something much, much nicer.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
-Please buy a ford, you are to stoopid to own a commodore.
ok you want v8 on a budget but a little better.
which ever one you get cheap.
cold air intake
extractors.
standard exhaust
high flow air filter
a good eprom to run it.
Any more power then that and you will wreak a perfectly good commodore.
o yeah get medical insurance, you sound like the type of person who would have a nice flash car and not know much about, then plant the foot in the wrong sport and cut a power pole of at ground level.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Going by centy's original comment, I'd say OP.

Commodores86

Reaction score
Members Ride
had a vk commodore
I really like a vp calais international, but they are like pretty rare, only 300 were made and they had ss and caprice options. Doesn't matter what sort of car i'll be getting, it will have a 304 v8 and will be either a vn to vs model. The parts that will be going into the car will be, a 2.5 inch exhaust with hi flow cats and pacemaker extractors, either a crow cam or a crane 288 solid cam for that lumpy sound, a vortech supercharger or two turbos, more likely a supercharger. Interior will be black with fusion car audio stuff like 6x9's, subs, amps, fusion mp3 cd tuner and a momo steering wheel. I'd be happy with around 300 kilowatts to 450 kilowatts at the wheels , either way this car will be a daily driver when i'm finished with it and will be treated with respect, which means i won't be doing any street racing, burnouts or donuts in it. The colour of the car will be metallic red or black, haven't decided that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.