Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much oil do your rockers get?

PappaYeet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina L67
I think I may have some oiling issues with the top end of my L67 but I'm not completely sure. Would someone please be able to describe/video how much oil is present on the rocker arms/springs once warmed up and running? Is there any splashing around? Thanks.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I believe it is a splash around and hope it lands where it is needed situation in there.

At least that it looks like to me for 5ha majority of the valve train

PappaYeet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina L67
Ok. Just wondering as I recently replaced lifters, pushrods, rockers and springs and can't see much happening in there. Just want to make sure I didn't mess up somewhere.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've run mine without the covers and it's not a huge amount of oil. After a few minutes it's enough to run down the back side of the head and make a small mess. If in doubt pop one of the covers off and run the engine.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
This is the reason I have retained the roller bearings as apposed to swapping out to bush.

Albeit there is no science behind this, only my personal views on what is required to lubricate a roller bearing over a bush bearing with random splashing oil.

I have also never had an issue with the roller bearings, but then I never rev over 6500 due to where my cam makes its best power.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With the rocker covers off there should be enough oil splashing about to start making a mess on the guards and inside the engine bay if the let it run for a while. Oil is a lubricant but it also acts as a cooling medium for the valve springs.