Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much oil in a catch can is too much ?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Howdy all, recently watched a video on You Tube by Mufudzi Gambiza in regard to a catch can he installed on his VE V6. After 2 weeks he emptoied the can and it had about 250 - 300 ml of oil in it. That seems an awful lot to me. Over a month that might equate to say 1 litre or 6 months 6 litres. That's really excessive. Is it possible that there may be a high proportion of moisture/water in the can that might account for the overall quantity. I have tried to find a way of contacting Mufudzi Gambiza but no luck.
Any thoughts please.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That does sound like a lot. I only get oil in mine (L67) but it's not uncommon to see video's on youtube where there is also moisture in there, maybe it's got something to do with the environment and temps? But just think, without the catch can all that crap would be going back into the intake and contaminating the intake/combustion chamber etc. Maybe that youtube user has a issue with his PCV system.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I like that dude’s videos.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
It is hard to tell, but at around 12 min mark the hoses look like they are collapsing under vacuum.

Make sure the hoses used are fit for purpose.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It is hard to tell, but at around 12 min mark the hoses look like they are collapsing under vacuum.

Make sure the hoses used are fit for purpose.
Yes I tend to agree. When they were being installed I wondered if hew was using fuel house or something else. As it was (appeared) to be new hose I am a bit surprised that the engine vacuum should cause the hoses to 'collapse'. Who knows, a good point to keep in mind if/when changing vacuum/purge lines.

Mufudzi

Reaction score
Howdy all, recently watched a video on You Tube by Mufudzi Gambiza in regard to a catch can he installed on his VE V6. After 2 weeks he emptoied the can and it had about 250 - 300 ml of oil in it. That seems an awful lot to me. Over a month that might equate to say 1 litre or 6 months 6 litres. That's really excessive. Is it possible that there may be a high proportion of moisture/water in the can that might account for the overall quantity. I have tried to find a way of contacting Mufudzi Gambiza but no luck.
Any thoughts please.

Hey mate, Mufudzi here what did you want to know? I used pretty thick hoses they look like they are collapsing but they are not (trust me). The whole reason I did the catch can on this vehicle was because the throttle body kept getting gummed up and sticking shut. So better that oil being in the catch can otherwise who knows what it was doing to the intake valves.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The man. The myth. The legend.

Love your videos on YouTube.