Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much paint thinners???

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
anybody know the ratio for paint thinners for primer? its the tin version not spray can

same for arylic?? and clear coat??

i had the details but i lost it in the move a few months back...and havent had to spray paint a car for a few years now.

Cheers Goon.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
It normally says it on the can. But I roughly use half thinners, half primer/paint/clear and leave enuf room in the top to add more paint or thinners if necessary....I don't worry about proper measurements lol. That's why I got a mate to paint my wagz, would of turned out shocking if I had done it. :p

One thing I always seem to stuff up is clear, coz if ya don't thin it out enuf it comes out like cobwebs....can stuff ya paint job up if that happens. I always spray on something b4 wat I'm painting, but sometimes it must suck through a thick bit....I think I just need to spend a bit more time getting it ready haha.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It normally says it on the can. But I roughly use half thinners, half primer/paint/clear and leave enuf room in the top to add more paint or thinners if necessary....I don't worry about proper measurements lol. That's why I got a mate to paint my wagz, would of turned out shocking if I had done it. :p

One thing I always seem to stuff up is clear, coz if ya don't thin it out enuf it comes out like cobwebs....can stuff ya paint job up if that happens. I always spray on something b4 wat I'm painting, but sometimes it must suck through a thick bit....I think I just need to spend a bit more time getting it ready haha.

Cheers mate ill let my bro know the info & tips !!! :thumbsup:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
half half sounds like too much thinners to me, i thought it was more like 25% thinners?
best thing to do is go down to repco or somewhere that sells paint and read the instructioins on the cans if your can don't have any.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
2 to 3 parts thinners to 1 part paint normally

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
depends what your painting with..

i was told start with 50/50.. if its too thin add paint, to thick more thinners..

using a stick or something you want it to just run nicely off it without to much resistance

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
half half sounds like too much thinners to me, i thought it was more like 25% thinners?
best thing to do is go down to repco or somewhere that sells paint and read the instructioins on the cans if your can don't have any.
SHould be closer to 3:1

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
it diffrent for diff brands as for clear and colours too
read the tin for the right mix ratio
what is it? 2pac or acrylic

most 2pac primers you look at ruffly 4:1:5<10% or 3:1:5<10%
first number is primer part
second number is hardner
third number is percentage of thinners

for basecoat in debeer its 2:1
PPG deltron i think was 4:1 if a recall correct

whats the brand ill look into it for you if you want

on a side note you can add more thinners (20% max really) to your colour or clear to make it flow better but the higher percentage of thinners will cause it to evaporate more and dull the paint off when dryed
only really do this if your skilled and able to put a good flat flow coat on
my VL we did the clear with 20% thinners and my mate flowed it so well that it still looks like glass after its dryed. and it hasnt even been polished yet

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Depends on the day too... temperature, humidity etc.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
temprature effects the type of thinners hardner you use

hotter days you use slow hardner and thinners to slow the evapration of them between the coats
where on a colder day you use fast hardner and thinners to allow it to tack off between coats, quicker

humidity should not effect the paint as you paint in a dry enviroment (booth)
but if you take the panels out before they cool after the bake in cool weather they will asorb mositure and start to turn milky in the clear