Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to get my stock VL turbocharged???

N

nauta_boiVL

hey fellas, i kno there is sum VL turbo fans out there, so i was wondering if any of yas would kno roughly how much it would cost me to get my stock vl, 5sp manual turbocharged.. and where would b the best place to get it done?? cheers

scozzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
My brother asked the same question a year ago.
and after a lot of research he found the easiest way.
Cheapest way of getting your vl turbo charged is to buy an imported japanese engine - do a search on google there are plenty of importers that import engines.

He's got an RB20DET engine that bolts straight in. - You get all wiring , sensors , Turbo - The lot for around $1500. These engines have done no more than 20000km and are in awesom nic. ( in japan there rego is heaps more if the engine has done more than 20000km - so thats why there are so many available ).

I have heaps more info if you want to go this way. so let me know.
His Vl is exellent and these engines come with warrenty too.

Youll also have to find someone to put it in also. The only extra cost is an intake cooler.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
scozzman said:
My brother asked the same question a year ago.
and after a lot of research he found the easiest way.
Cheapest way of getting your vl turbo charged is to buy an imported japanese engine - do a search on google there are plenty of importers that import engines.

He's got an RB20DET engine that bolts straight in. - You get all wiring , sensors , Turbo - The lot for around $1500. These engines have done no more than 20000km and are in awesom nic. ( in japan there rego is heaps more if the engine has done more than 20000km - so thats why there are so many available ).

I have heaps more info if you want to go this way. so let me know.
His Vl is exellent and these engines come with warrenty too.

Youll also have to find someone to put it in also. The only extra cost is an intake cooler.
is that 1500 imprted or 1500 just for the motor then xtra imported

N

nauta_boiVL

ahh right, so whats the diff between an rb20DET and a normal vl?? ive herd of people puttin in those r32 skyline engines and all well with that.... yeh im interested in possibly imorting one from japan as ure brother did, so whats his vl go like now?? oh yeh was that $1500 for the engine and import cost?

scozzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
All these moters are already imported - they are in crates so thats all you have to pay. Im pretty sure they are around $1500 - They are definatly under $2000 anyway! I will find out.

His vl goes excellent. hes a fussy bugger and after alot of research this was the way to go.

The moter he's got is a RB20DET - which is only a two litre moter - but goes like a shower of sh!t
Im sure you can get an RB 3 litre.

Just do a google search and look around - there are many importers - especially over east. we had to pay an extra $200 to get it shipped to W.A

Like i said you get EVERYTHING except an inter cooler.

Im really surprised more people dont do it.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
nauta_boiVL said:
ahh right, so whats the diff between an rb20DET and a normal vl?? ive herd of people puttin in those r32 skyline engines and all well with that.... yeh im interested in possibly imorting one from japan as ure brother did, so whats his vl go like now?? oh yeh was that $1500 for the engine and import cost?
rb20det is a 2liter double over head cam, electronicaly injected and with turbo (meanings of 20det) the rb25dett is the 2.5liter double over head cam, electronic injection and twin turbo.
where the rb30 (vl motor) is a 3ltr single over head cam and electronically injected and makes ruffly half the power of the other two motors

N

nauta_boiVL

nice, ill have a look around and see what melb has to offor for me. would u guys also know where a good place to get intercoolers? i spose u can get them from autobarn and all those places but i have a feeling that will cost me a bomb. i think a fully recon rb30 with pod filter or induction and lukey exhaust could do me for now as i havent even got my P's yet, bloody vic make me wait till im 18!!!!! wankers.

scozzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Yes that is right.

there is an importers engine price list somewhere on the net. Which shows the availability of these engines in stock and the prices. Sorry im not more helpful but it was a while ago. I remember that the 3.0 litre turbo was pretty pricey thats why we opted with the 2.0 litre. But 2.0 litre turbos seem to be the way to go these days - just look at the wrx!

N

nauta_boiVL

those wrx's just fly dont they!!
i wonder how much they weigh, i kno my vl weighs 1250kg. u know if its worth getting racings cams fitted? or even over siezed piston, as i could just get the rb30 reconditioned, at the same time i could get these others optioned put in, what u think?

scozzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
You can do anything you want if you have the money!

I suggested the imports to you because its a good value for money way to go. - and you get an engine that DOES go.
Like i said my brother is bloody fussy and stingy with money and he's happy.

Because these engines are already here in australia im not to sure about the cams and pistons - but it doesnt hurt to ask.