Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
People don't usually refer to the stock tune as a MAF tune.

Regardless of whether your figures are accurate, if you have spent the money on extractors, cats, OTR and exhaust you might as well make it run efficiently as you can otherwise why waste the couple of grand for the parts.

Yeah you will get gains out of the increased intake and exhaust flow but the stock parameters around the MAF wouldn't know what to do with the extra intake flow and similarly the o2 sensors in the exhaust wouldn't know how to handle the outgoing without being tuned to deal with it.

Do it once do it properly.

What is the stock tune then, does it utilize the MAF sensor? If Yes it's a MAF tune
Doesn't the ECU detect and adjusts to increase flows, i would have thought that's its whole purpose and the purpose of actually having sensors in the first place, if it wasn't what is the point of having those MAF and O2 sensors feeding information back to the ECU when you could simply set the parameters in the factory. I think you mistake what a sensor actually does, it doesn't have to cope with increased flows like you say they simply measure theses flows.
With my car it certainly doesn't run any better after the tune, fuel economy is worse because AFM was disabled. As soon as I can get back to Perth I'm having the stock MAF tune reinstalled.

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
FFS shut up! No one has ever referred to a stock calibration as a MAF tune.
Problem solved, I have posted for the guys at Active, just wait for an answer.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
What I'm saying is that no one refers to the factory calibration as a 'MAF Tune'. It would be like buying a Barina and telling everyone it is MAF tuned, when it was simply calibrated that way from factory.

And your concept of how the various sensors interact is quite funny. You do realize that sensors work within their programmed tolerance, without the tolerance being changed to cater for the increased airflow or o2 sensor range the car will only adjust to the maximum that it is programmed for.

Manufacturers aren't going to program for every scenario possible under the planet. They look at the equipment they fitted and program accordingly, they don't waste time programming for something that you don't intend to happen.

Feel free to think what you think

jesta83

Supercharged
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1.com.au
Members Ride
MY12.5 Blue Car
What is the stock tune then, does it utilize the MAF sensor? If Yes it's a MAF tune
Doesn't the ECU detect and adjusts to increase flows, i would have thought that's its whole purpose and the purpose of actually having sensors in the first place, if it wasn't what is the point of having those MAF and O2 sensors feeding information back to the ECU when you could simply set the parameters in the factory. I think you mistake what a sensor actually does, it doesn't have to cope with increased flows like you say they simply measure theses flows.
With my car it certainly doesn't run any better after the tune, fuel economy is worse because AFM was disabled. As soon as I can get back to Perth I'm having the stock MAF tune reinstalled.

Quite clearly you have no idea what your talking about, stop trying to persuade people with your idiotic rants and misinformation. Every post you have made in this thread just makes you look like a wanker. So go away, do some reading, learn something and then come back with something useful.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
FFS shut up! No one has ever referred to a stock calibration as a MAF tune.
Problem solved, I have posted for the guys at Active, just wait for an answer.

I've never heard of it referred to as a stock calibration, so considering I've only had it tuned once, by active, and I bought the car new who did the other tune then? Maybe at the factory do you think, perhaps they do MAFless tune to random cars at the factory or maybe even the pixies at the bottom of my garden did it, I hope they instal a supercharger next without telling me...

Last edited:

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
I went and saw Dus at Duspeed today and had my maf otr fitted. Dus said drive it normally till the tune and I shouldn't throw an engine code. I drove normally and by the time I got home I had an engine check light on. Not that it matters or bothers me as my tuner will turn it off this Tuesday. The quality of the Dus otr is fantastic, really primo stuff.

Throttle response and induction note have noticably improved and I'm hoping the tune will improve the whole package further again.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
not-this-****-again.jpg We are all so fortunate.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I've never heard of it referred to as a stock calibration, so considering I've only had it tuned once, by active, and I bought the car new who did the other tune then? Maybe at the factory do you think, perhaps they do MAFless tune to random cars at the factory....don't be silly,

Speak to an engineer at Holden or Ford etc and you may hear the term calibration. Even google ECU calibration and you will start to see that it is a common term amongst people in the industry.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Speak to an engineer at Holden or Ford etc and you may hear the term calibration. Even google ECU calibration and you will start to see that it is a common term amongst people in the industry.

Why do people get a tune then and not a recalibration? Where did you get yours recalibrated?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I went and saw Dus at Duspeed today and had my maf otr fitted. Dus said drive it normally till the tune and I shouldn't throw an engine code. I drove normally and by the time I got home I had an engine check light on. Not that it matters or bothers me as my tuner will turn it off this Tuesday. The quality of the Dus otr is fantastic, really primo stuff.

Throttle response and induction note have noticably improved and I'm hoping the tune will improve the whole package further again.

Get a before and after reading and post it on here thanks, you should get a higher gain as it takes 500 to 1000km of driving for the MAF sensor to adjust the ECU after a OTR has been installed but a RECALIBRATOR may be able to do it instantly.

Last edited: