Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Yeah man. A total rip off. I'm not gonna spend that much to tune a street car with minimum mods!

I am in Melbourne, western suburbs. There must be some tune shops in sunshine, hoppers crossing, Altona etc...

try sass automotive - https://www.facebook.com/SASSAutomotive
or take a trip up the freeway to GMMotorsport in Melton

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Wazza, I cant wait for you to pop an engine. OP, how much is this "piggy back" unit costing? A Dyno tune will normally cost around $500-700 plus any parts needed.

But, if like Wazza you dont think its worth it to save your engine, dont bother. Your choice.

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
Dyno tunes arent far off a $1000 these days so to have a piggy back unit installed where you can alter the tune when you want for $1190 doesnt seem that ridiculous to me.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
MPW in Dandenong are on the other side of Melbourne if you can be bothered driving haha. Top blokes.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Highly doubt the OP would only get 18rwhp from a tune.

Not sure if the OP has done a full exhaust system, but stock they dyno in at around 200-215rwkw (depending on dyno) and after full exhaust/intake/tune, standard sort of number expected from a 6litre is about 270rwkw.

Thems the figure hes looking at with a tune, in Horsepower if he does full exhaust/Header/OTR he will be getting around 256.5rwhp. if he pays rhe $1000 he will get around 274.4rwhp, an increase on 18rwhp for $1000. below is my dyno sheet, in GREEN is with the Exhaust/Headers/HiFlow Cats/VCM OTR done by me before, the RED is the results AFTER the Tune. I was recommended this Tuner by the Exhaust mob her in Esperance as well as my mate who got his Supercharged VE SS Ute (640rwhp) mods there, they also do tunes for Shacks HSV at Fremantle so not dodgy. Dont expect great gains from a tune, you will get them anyway from the other mods

dyno tuned.jpg

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Wazza, I cant wait for you to pop an engine. OP, how much is this "piggy back" unit costing? A Dyno tune will normally cost around $500-700 plus any parts needed.

But, if like Wazza you dont think its worth it to save your engine, dont bother. Your choice.

CAUTION EVERYBODY, DON'T GET EXTRACTORS WITHOUT A TUNE OR YOU COULD "POP" YOUR ENGINE....BAHAHAHAHA
Ha ha ha. do you really think he will "POP" and engine by NOT getting a tune? No really, do you? Please explain your rationale? $500 to $700 for a CRAP tune that you might have to put your cat on a tow truck after, you only get what you pay for. What parts would you possibly need for a Dyno Tune (500-700 plus parts?)

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
CAUTION EVERYBODY, DON'T GET EXTRACTORS WITHOUT A TUNE OR YOU COULD "POP" YOUR ENGINE....BAHAHAHAHA
Ha ha ha. do you really think he will "POP" and engine by NOT getting a tune? No really, do you? Please explain your rationale? $500 to $700 for a CRAP tune that you might have to put your cat on a tow truck after, you only get what you pay for. What parts would you possibly need for a Dyno Tune (500-700 plus parts?)

OMG man... Do you even know what a tune does?
If you're not happy with your 18rwhp tune then go get the stock tune flashed back in and get your money back. A tune is suppose to make it drive better, it's not about numbers. Your car would be running very lean with an otr and full exhaust without a tune, wouldn't be much faster than stock either.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
OMG man... Do you even know what a tune does?
If you're not happy with your 18rwhp tune then go get the stock tune flashed back in and get your money back. A tune is suppose to make it drive better, it's not about numbers. Your car would be running very lean with an otr and full exhaust without a tune, wouldn't be much faster than stock either.

What he said.... The tune will compliment the mods made, and if he's getting extractors and cats he'll end with a check engine light and need to take it to a tuner anyway. A tune will prevent it from running like a pig and you'd more than likely end up with more power and use less fule than when it was standard, plus it would drive a lot better. Theres no need for a piggy back computer, just call some of the reputable tuners around melb and talk to them about your mods and what they'd recommend.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0

........:doh::doh::doh::doh:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG