Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much ventilation does a computer need?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i'm building a new desk and i need to know how much ventilation a computer tower needs.
can they be put inside a cupboard behind doors?
if so how much room does it need around it?
if not anyone got suggestions for hiding it.

thanks

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If it were in a sealed enclosure such as a cupboard, I'd want a large (at least 10cm diameter) mesh opening at the front/bottom of the cupboard, and an even larger one (12-15cm) as high as possible at the back. Computers generally draw air from the front/bottom/sometimes the sides, and exhaust air at the top/rear.

If your case has the cpu air intake (look for a circular vent on the left side of the case, looking from the front), make sure you give yourself about an inch of clearance on that side.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
so in other words it's not a good idea?

what about an open shelf with a door on the front but open on the side where the vent is and open at the back?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
no........

depends on how the cooling is designed, i wouldn't say a flat no..

As stated, if you are going to build it, make sure that there is exhaust at the rear, what i would do is leave about 2-3cm of space at the front to draw air from and then have an open rear to max the rear ventilation.

Invest in some better fans or even water cooling and i cant see you having too many issues.

Its like a car, as long as it can get air in and hot air out, your doing ok... when summer comes around it might start to be an issue but if you post some pics of your computer up i can advise further

aZk.

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
You need airflow. As long as air is able to flow, you should be fine. If you wish to put it behind doors, either a) open the doors when you use it or b) install a fan in the door/s. Of course, it goes without saying that there must be a rear outlet as well.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X Wagon
Invest in some better fans or even water cooling and i cant see you having too many issues.

Water cooling seems to be a fairly dramatic step considering all he really needs to do is ensure a decent amount of air gets into and out of the computer.

Before you throw the PC in there never to be moved until you get a new one, open up the left hand side panel (if you're look at the PC from the front) and blow some compressed air in there to help unclog the fans and heatsinks. Just make sure there's no water in the tank of the compressor, and that if any droplets of water do get in there that you let it dry out properly before putting it back together. Much better to just avoid getting the water in there in the first place of course. You may find that the PC ends up operating cooler than it used to even in the new cramped enclosure if it currently has a shitload of dust all over the shop.

Give it an inch of clearance down the left hand side, somewhere to draw in cool air from the front of the case as low as possible, and leave the back wide open (will help with cabling too) and you'll be fine.

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
lol was about to say water cooling and then it doesn't really matter where you put it lol.

as others have said, you need to be able to draw in cool air and somewhere for the hot air from the exhaust fans to go.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
works similar way to car =]

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
just dont put a back on the hidey hole that you have and make sure that you have a nice big fan (or 2 smaller ones) to push the air around. or water cooling. thats great