Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much weight will the vt wagon carry ?

wallyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1998
Have to pick up around 550 - 600 kilo of tiles tommorow, do you think the wagon is up to the task ? Im sure lve had alot more in my ford years ago, thanks.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Falcon wagons and utes have leaf springs so are much better suited for weights like that. Would get a trailer if I were you.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
500kg is pretty much maxing out a conventional ute, I wouldn't even attempt 500kg + in a wagon.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
I would. I've had 5 x 100 kilo punks riding in my old VT sedan (including myself), what your talking about is just one extra punk, no problem. Wagons have stiffer rear springs. It'll be sweet i reckon.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would. I've had 5 x 100 kilo punks riding in my old VT sedan (including myself), what your talking about is just one extra punk, no problem. Wagons have stiffer rear springs. It'll be sweet i reckon.

Weight behind the axle affects the springs a lot for than if the weight is in front of the axle. The wagon will be on the bump stops with 500kg in the boot.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Commercial vehicles must list GVM on their compliance plates but wagons and sedans are not considered commercial vehicles so they don’t list anything under GVM.
Utes yes but not wagons or sedans.

Luckily your owners manual should give some guide as to maximum load you can pile into the back of the wagon. But that would be with nothing else bolted to the vehicle, no tow bar, no floor mats or other accessories. So with that number, you’d subtract the driver and any passengers weights along with the weights of anything added to the vehicle including trailer tow ball weight; that would be what you can safely carry in the back...

I’d borrow a small box trailer and split the load 350-400 kg in the trailer and 250-200 kgs in the wagon (and thats only if you’ve checked the owners manual and calculated 250kg is ok in the rear of the wagon).

Oh, and you really want a cargo safety barrier installed as well if you have solid stuff in the back (in a crash, a tile hurts much more than a sleeping bag when it hits you in the head ;) )

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

If I had a choice between being crash tackled by 5 Kiwi All Black forwards, and an equivalent weight of tiles on a pallet in the back of a wagon during a quick stop, I would pick the big, cuddly Kiwis.

Gw33dz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon S2,
"According to the vehicle’s handbook, it has a load limit of 480 kg....." I still reckon it will be sweet if you drive carefully. The load limit is set low so the manufacturer won't be liable, you just need to drive careful.

It's not going to bottom out, unless you go rally driving.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
If you have a crash where somebody does and the vehicle is overloaded, even if the crash wasn’t caused by you, you will be found liable.

Vehicle maximum loads are almost always determined around tyre load ratings.