Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much wheel spin does your auto ecotec get?

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
ok so this question is pretty simple, i think my car has issues, its either under powered or my auto box is fubar, but a few people have had a drive and they beg to differ.

in short my car has

CAI
extractors + 2.5" cat back
235/45/17 tyres

so, i have a bit more than stock power but... i cant get wheel spin :bang: only way i get wheel spin is if i turn sharply and plant the foot, but as soon as im going straight and the weight is evenly distributed at the back i get grip. i cant even do line lockers :cry: my car just starts to creep forwward, i have to park on a speed hump to break traction.

i see stock 4 cylinder cars with half the power of my car pull better burnouts than me, ive seen stock VS's pull line lockers till the tyres explode, so my question is, why cant i? are my tyres just super sticky? is my auto the problem? is my car seriously under powered?

anyway, if anyone else has a similar setup to me, let me know how your car goes at breaking traction, if everyone else can do i should be able to aswell.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Well, If I slam mine to the floor, it turns tyres, and if I have a little rest on the brake while beginning to do it, it will quickly tickle the limiter and shift to 2nd, don't do it very often, maybe 3 times since i've had it, but it has never not fried rubber......

I have 245x 18's, they are cheap tyres $240 each...maybe your rubber is too grippy...lol...

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
if i plant the foot from a standing start, the car revs out to 5000 as i take off and get 0 wheel spin, its as if im driving a manual and slowly letting the clutch out.

the auto EB falcon i had before my VS never had this problem...

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
if i plant the foot from a standing start, the car revs out to 5000 as i take off and get 0 wheel spin, its as if im driving a manual and slowly letting the clutch out.

the auto EB falcon i had before my VS never had this problem...

Does it gradually reach 5000rpm, or pretty quickly??
does the cars speed increase with rpm??
Sounds a bit like a slipping trans to me!!

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
it gets up to 5000-5500 at a decent rate and the car accelerates at a reasonable speed, it revs a bit longer than id like before it changes to 2nd, and then changing to 3rd if i still have my foot flat to the floor itll sit on 5500ish rpm up till about 110km/h before it changes to 3rd.

i personally think its a slipping tranny, but i took it to an auto trans place and he said nah its not slipping, it was just overheating, ive since got a new trans cooler and its no longer over heating, but i dont have much more if any power getting to the ground.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
its because its a v6. when i plant mine it wont spin at all. thats because its a weak motor with an lsd. single spinner you might get a little, but dont go expecting it to spin like crazy unless you have your foot on the brake pedal.
was much easier when i had the supercharger on. id floor it and the speedo would shoot up towards 100 and the car wouldnt move

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
oh mine is a single spinner

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
mines got no trouble at all spinning, though mines manaul, even if i take the clutch off slowly and after the clutch is off and i plant it, it spins like crazy....

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Got any other crew in in the car? Or a heavy sub box in the boot?
Just an idea...

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
well i do have 2 12" subs and 2 amps in my boot, but i wouldnt expect it to weight it down that much, its maybe 30-40kg tops