Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much will it sell for?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
GM would have got more for it selling it as a on going entity with manufacturing operations, Zeta IP etc rather than just a 'name'.

They had their chance. That Belgium billionaire wanted to buy the lot, but GM said 'no'. They must have had their (misguided) reasons, .

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
They had their chance. That Belgium billionaire wanted to buy the lot, but GM said 'no'. They must have had their (misguided) reasons, .

just a part of GM's scorched earth policy?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
GM just don't want to be involved in engineering and building for RHD markets. There are few RHD markets left that they are involved in.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ah wait ... now I’ve read the actual story here rather than refusing to watch Old Mate and going by the comments of others. :)

So they’re looking at selling the rights to import the cars to Inchcape, badged as Opels, and they’ll continue to sell all the other despicable rubbish (yet which actually sells because people are downright stupid) under the Holden badge. I can’t see that working out for Inchcape, to be honest!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ah wait ... now I’ve read the actual story here rather than refusing to watch Old Mate and going by the comments of others. :)

So they’re looking at selling the rights to import the cars to Inchcape, badged as Opels, and they’ll continue to sell all the other despicable rubbish (yet which actually sells because people are downright stupid) under the Holden badge. I can’t see that working out for Inchcape, to be honest!

Like old mate pointed out...
a few years back gm made the statement that they would continue to manufacture vehicles here for atleast a decade which worked out to be around 2022 and then they shut down in 2017 so taking gms current statements as proof of what is going to happen might not pan out.

Gm could just dump the entire holden brand and inchcape could just throw other vehicles into aus with holden badges.
So a holden might end up being any one of the number of vehicles they import.

Thats why i said there is some interesting times ahead.

How it will play out is anyones guess but they are doing a good job of destroying the holden brand while they are at it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I think you'll find, that billionaire wanted to buy the plant, complete with equipment, to start manufacturing his own brand cars, but I think the local gov't stuck their two bobs worth in, preventing the sale.....

Might be wrong, as it is going back 2 to 3 years ago now and the memory isn't that great anymore

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

As I said above, history repeating with Opel. Although this time they may actually promote them.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I think you'll find, that billionaire wanted to buy the plant, complete with equipment, to start manufacturing his own brand cars, but I think the local gov't stuck their two bobs worth in, preventing the sale.....
Might be wrong, as it is going back 2 to 3 years ago now and the memory isn't that great anymore

Just to jog your memory …… https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-21/plans-to-keep-adelaides-holden-plant-producing-cars/7103566

My memory is that it was reported Mr Dumarey met with honchos at GM HQ, and was given a flat ‘no’ within 5 minutes.
Conspiracy theory time ….. his company, at that time, made transmissions and other large mechanical bits for GM. Perhaps these contracts were looked at closely by GM, and he may have been asked to sharpen his pencil, or advised that it was not a wise move to continue producing a RWD VF-like vehicle or variant.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Just to jog your memory …… https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-21/plans-to-keep-adelaides-holden-plant-producing-cars/7103566

My memory is that it was reported Mr Dumarey met with honchos at GM HQ, and was given a flat ‘no’ within 5 minutes.
Conspiracy theory time ….. his company, at that time, made transmissions and other large mechanical bits for GM. Perhaps these contracts were looked at closely by GM, and he may have been asked to sharpen his pencil, or advised that it was not a wise move to continue producing a RWD VF-like vehicle or variant.

Maybe the price wasn't right and the equipment could be used elsewhere in the GM world.