Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much would this bother you ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That would bother me no end, because once you know about it, it gets magnified.
Had two similar gutter rashes on my no lip, silver painted 17s ……….. one mine, the other missus.
Remove tyre, hand file to get rid of rough bits, electric drill with wire wheel (carefully), then orbital sander with degrees of finer paper, then hand sand/clean-up/polish, spray with rattle can = 99% OK.
Yours are polished, so that progressive hand polishing may not work to your satisfaction. Cheaper than $120 to try. Not happy, then go to professional.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Repainted/repaired wheels never have good quality paint like the factory did
This isn’t 100% true; if you get them done off the car & allow the 10-ish days it takes, the job can be better than factory. Won’t always be, depends on how much the people doing it care.
The mobile touch-ups ... I don’t think it’s possible, you do that for a quick sale really.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Been there and done that paying up to $200 each wheel for a rim repair shop to do my rims just to have them totally chipped up and peeling paint after 6 months.
It may not be 100% true but id prefer to buy a new wheel than risk it,theres always the minute chance you will get a mint job,if youre super lucky.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Meh. If this was a solid bump, your money is better spent on a check of wheel alignment.
Otherwise, it's minor: a scratch is a scratch is a scratch, and so very many rims have them.
If you're really keen on DIY, a Dremel with flat sanding/grinding and polishing attachments can fix this, but having already lost the protective coating of the aluminium from the bingle, you'll need to treat it some other way when finished. I have a few very, very minor dings on my rims, and they were there from either/both tyre fitters and previous owners of the car not paying attention to the environment. Doesn't worry me. You can also get scratches from normal driving, especially along gravel roads.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I have a buckled rim been driving like that for almost a year. Really needs new tyres as well

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
To answer the question..I once had an ant crawl up my leg (unbeknownst to me) and make its way to my backside where it proceeded to bite me fair and square on the a$$hole..

The damaged rim would irritate me far more than that..

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
I got a minor 4 - 5mm scratch on my left front rim several months ago. And I mean minor, you had to have it pointed out to notice it but I knew it was there so it bugged the hell out of me. Sort of fixed it myself with some gloss black paint. Still there but even less noticeable. When I eventually get around to putting new tyres on the front, this rim will go in as the spare. Mine is not worth getting fixed professionally.
Yours I would have replaced. As others have said, repairs may or may not last or be a top notch job.