Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How not to built an L67

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Checked the invoice and it says 4936-12 which are standard springs. Engine machinist said best to go up a spring. He charged me $231 which is double the price of 85lb Crow 4936-12's. I was quoted a price on the stiffer springs and and the standards and opted for the heavier ones as recommended, which were double the price of standard. Wished I known this before he closed down for Christmas.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There is nothing wrong the strength of the L67 rotating assembly, others have gone well over 400rwhp with them.

We warned him about the timing chain but he ignored it and so this morning I totally pissed myself laughing when the video popped up.

Yes, it'll have bent valves no doubt, they recon they were only cruising so hopefully only 1 or 2 bent valves. He said it just stopped dead so it definitely something hit something. But then he just spends ages cranking it over on the starter regardless. He definitely isn't the most clever tool in the shed.

Yea but when I was rebuilding a L67 I had to get a new rod. Well this one was in a VY and I got a second hand rod that was meant to fit. Well it was a series two rod I got told by all the "specalists" that was the correct rod for the VY. Well it wasn't and I had to buy a rod out of the US when you compare the series three powder rods to the series two cast rods you'll throw the cast ones out and use the series three rods. It's day and night quality difference.

Why Holden used series three rods in series two engines I can only guess that the US had been using series three engines so only parts were available so Holden just used series three parts in series two engine code engines.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes the powered rods used in the last of the L67 were better but seeing as he isn't anywhere near finding the limits of the engine he's got other than his fuckup with the timing chain there isn't much point in changing the rods. He's now claiming budget restraints as one reason for using a factory timing chain so their is no way they are going to go and spend money on new rods that simply aren't required yet. And if you have watched any of the other Carnage videos you'll know Scotty has a bad habit of blowing **** up and ruining otherwise good parts.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
This is why I say it's better to just up the boost than find a little extra hp with a cam.
Because as soon as you cam these engines (with a decent cam) it's double row chain balancer delete which is mandatory and a race damper.
Also if you want that much extra powas it's better to just turbo. There's a reason all the non V8 cars on YouTube making decent power are turbo'd.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’d be surprised if that chain was the cause of engine failure. More likely something else was the cause

Engine may have ingested something (wouldn’t be surprised based on those vids lol), or cam timing was off and pistons were grazing valves, or valve spring pressures were incorrect (float), or cam seized in journals, or lifters seized in bores, or dropped a valve and bound everything up etc etc.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is why I say it's better to just up the boost than find a little extra hp with a cam.
Because as soon as you cam these engines (with a decent cam) it's double row chain balancer delete which is mandatory and a race damper.
Also if you want that much extra powas it's better to just turbo. There's a reason all the non V8 cars on YouTube making decent power are turbo'd.

I put this up to show people how to not build an L67. Even if you were to build a turbo ecotec and put some decent valve springs in it you would want a double row timing chain, stock springs won't keep the valves shut with 20psi up it's intake with moderate revs.

With a smaller cam and lighter springs the single row chain would have survived longer (valve timing would have been varying non the less from chain slop) but Scotty simply didn't bother to find out the correct info for the cam that was supplied, he just slapped it all together and hoped for the best and the result is on the web for all to see.

For someone who builds engines as part of their job you must realize you can't simply upgrade one part without effecting others.

I’d be surprised if that chain was the cause of engine failure. More likely something else was the cause

Engine may have ingested something (wouldn’t be surprised based on those vids lol), or cam timing was off and pistons were grazing valves, or valve spring pressures were incorrect (float), or cam seized in journals, or lifters seized in bores, or dropped a valve and bound everything up etc etc.

Yes. Stock heads on a ecotec/L67 are good to .515" lift before the retainers start hitting the valve guide seals. The cam supplied by Mace has .566" lift on the intake, it uses a reduced base circle lobe to get that lift and requires custom length push rods and modified heads. Scotty used stock heads with heavy duty springs and the original push rods....

Reactions: EYY

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Definitely doomed from the beginning then. I’m keen to see people taking a gamble on used parts or strange combos, but don’t really see the point of exceeding known safe lift by a huge margin when it’s pretty much guaranteed failure.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I'm waiting to see if they pull the heads and valve springs. Really want to see the intake guides/seals.

I'm actually surprised Mace supplied that cam without telling him what it takes to fit it properly. The stock push rods may have been both good and bad. A longer push rod (to get the proper lifter pre-load) may have cause the engine to lock up when turning over by hand where as the stock push rod would have had **** all pre-load but on a running engine with oil pressure would have been eating the valve stem seals most likely.

I left a comment on their original engine build video but basically got ignored. ******* pissed myself laughing when the video popped up on Christmas morning with the broken timing chain.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It would be good if someone built a billet timing cover with a crank support and room to run a balance shaft.
Then people could move into whipple blowers and see how far these supercharged engines can go.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Crank support? When are these engines breaking the snouts off the cranks?

People have already fitted whipple blowers on these motors.